Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nichrome in solution..
Chemist514
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-3-2007 at 09:42
nichrome in solution..

Greetings,

I was just wondering if there is a way to recover either nickel or chromium from a solution of nicrome wire in some acid.. i have no nickel or chrome compounds yet and was about to throw out all my excess bits of the wire so i thought id ask. all the best folks.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-3-2007 at 09:59

Perhaps the most economical would be to add alkaline peroxide and boiling, Ni should drop out as oxides while Cr would stay in solution as chromate.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 24-3-2007 at 10:08

In a solution addition of iron will precipitate the nickel but not the chromium. I'd add some NaOH to the solution to neutralize any remaining acid. The NaOH won't redissolve the nickel.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 24-3-2007 at 10:31

Precipitating it all as hydroxide or, cheaper, carbonate, and fusing with alkali and oxidizer may be a better route to seperating the chrome.

You may be able to plate the nickel out electrolytically in an acid solution. Chromium would be less preferred because it would tend to react with the acid and nickel. A seperate anode cell may be wanted, otherwise you'll get a bunch of chlorine or something.

Edit: And, you can always synthesize a pound of methylglyoxime, precipitate the nickel, filter, and either ash or acidify the complex to free the pure nickel.

Tim

[Edited on 3-24-2007 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top