Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: searching water mixable chlorine solvent
emrebjk
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-3-2007 at 10:49
searching water mixable chlorine solvent

for a catalytic reaction I need a chlorine solvent like (CH2CL2, CCL4). But that solvent should be mix with water. Do you know such a solvent??
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 25-3-2007 at 09:00

I always find this attitude of asking a question without providing any useful information fascinating. Is there a banner saying "Members of ScienceMadness can read your mind!" when registering?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 25-3-2007 at 09:24

Most of the good chlorine solvents, as you likely know, are non-polar so they won't mix with water. You could always just stir the heck out of it though and form an emulsion. Chlorine itself is soluble in water as well, just not to a great extent. So as Nicodem said, if you give us some more reaction conditions, what you are trying to accomplish, we might be able to help you. I mean, are you bubbling chlorine into something, generating it in situ, or going for using some kind of chlorinating reagent?

Besides, let's say you have solvent A, which is soluble in water, and also in which chlorine is soluble, I have no clue what you are trying to accomplish with it. Are you trying to make an aqueous mixture of that solvent able to dissolve more chlorine than water alone? Or are you trying to chlorinate something in that solvent and then dissolve it all in water together? There are too many unknowns.

[Edited on 3/25/2007 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
emrebjk
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 07:11

In the catalytic reaction metal oxidised by the Cl of CHCl3 or like that. At this point CHCl2. radical forms. That radical starts the polimerization. My complexes are only water soluble. So that I need a chlorine solvent which can be mixed with water and forms a radical.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 07:24

If it is a radical-induced polymerization, then very few radicals are required, correct? Chloroform CHCl3 is soluble at 8g/L at room temperature and more if you react at a higher temperature. That means for every liter of solution, you get .067 mol of radicals (assuming complete conversion, which is never the case). Thats forty billion, trillion polymer chains per liter of reaction solution. I imagine that that is plenty, although I am curious what exactly you are polymerizing. Also, chloroform should sink to the bottom of the water solution and sit over the metal, so getting them in contact is not a problem.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
emrebjk
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 07:37

radical forms only with transition metal. 1f in reaction there is no metal complex, polymerization is not occuring. So radical amount is related to metal amount. For example think a Ru(II) complex. This will oxidised Ru(III)-Cl and CHCl2 radical forms. Then we add methyl methacrylate monomer to the reaction. Polymerization starts with that radical and MMA polimerized. If chloroform sink to the bottom, it cannot react with complex so the radical and polymerization will not occur.

Go To Top