Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Home Labs & Home Ownership
BeanyBoy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 03:06
Home Labs & Home Ownership

[If this topic is better suited for the "Reagents and Apparatus Acquistion " forum, please move it or let me know I should repost]

I had not seen a discussion of this topic. Before I do something that could result in my becoming homeless, it seems worth of polling other members.

Of those of you whom, in conjunction with some benevolent or usurious lender, own your own homes, has either your mortgage holder or your insurance provider ever become aware of your chemistry hobby, and how did that resolve.

Thanks,
-beany not-so-boy
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 08:34

I don't discuss my lab with anybody but a fellow chemist. And then only if he is a close and trusted friend.

If my house burns down because of a fire in my lab I'm probably just hosed as far as making an insurance claim.

[Edited on by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
ciscosdad
Hazard to Self

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 22:59
Insurance

I'm not sure of the situation in the States, but here in Australia, insurance companies can use almost any excuse to disallow a claim. For example, if there is a house fire and the electrical wiring is found to be even partly illegally installed, the claim may be disallowed, whether there is any electrical involvement or not. God knows what they would make of a home lab.
I expect they would use the simple existence of the lab to keep your payout, no matter what the cause of the fire.
Scary stuff.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 29-3-2007 at 06:06

it would be interesting to hear about people like Coilers also, their hobby is as equally likely to cause a fire.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 06:04

Or you could also check those crazy pottery and ceramic types that have the high-temp kilns in their homes.

Joe
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 16:02
Double Trouble

In addition to my lab equipment I have Cone 10 doll kiln. It reaches 2500 F fairly quick.
So will they call the MadHatter the "Mad Potter" if my home burns down because of
ceramics accident ?

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Go To Top