Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Remove diamong using chemical method
DrEvidence
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 01:57
Remove diamong using chemical method

Is there any way? Let's say that requirements are that it must not be moved as a whole and that physical method such as explosions or digging or any type of movement will cause havoc. Does diamond dissolve or react with anything? Also if possible to avoid high temperatures.

[Edited on 2-5-2018 by DrEvidence]
LearnedAmateur
International Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 02:03

Carbon (especially the diamond allotrope) is known for being quite inert, as far as I know the only way to chemically remove diamond is to heat to at least 2500-3000 degrees C in order to sublime it as CO2, which would of course probably mean you melt whatever it is attached to as well.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

I am now training to manufacture contact lenses for a living. Time to join the lab community!
DrP
International Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 02:29

If you did dissolve it 'something' then it wouldn't precipitate back out as a diamond anyway... just carbon probably. When a crystal dissolves the whole structure is dissolved down to the base molecules/atoms in the crystal - recrystallization would be necessary... along with the conditions necessary to form the crystal, which with diamond is very tricky due to the high pressures required. In which case you might as well just start with carbon in the form of graphite or something cheap and form your crystal from there.. No point in destroying a diamond just to have to remake it again.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 02:29

From wiki;

Quote:
Being a form of carbon, diamond oxidizes in air if heated over 700 °C.[39] In absence of oxygen, e.g. in a flow of high-purity argon gas, diamond can be heated up to about 1700 °C.[40][41] Its surface blackens, but can be recovered by re-polishing. At high pressure (~20 GPa) diamond can be heated up to 2500 °C,[42] and a report published in 2009 suggests that diamond can withstand temperatures of 3000 °C and above.[43]

You can oxidize to CO2 with a lens and some sunlight.

[Edited on 2-5-2018 by Tsjerk]
DrP
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 02:30

Similarly - turning it to CO2 destroys it... how do you reverse the action to recover your diamond? (you can't)

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 02:51

Who (besides you) is talking about recovery?
DrP
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 03:18

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Who (besides you) is talking about recovery?

It was my assumption that the OP wanted to separate the rock from the diamond... 'Removing diamond using chemical method'. My assumption was made upon the fact that diamonds are very expensive and very useful and I cannot think of why the fellow would simply want to purify his rocks by removing the unwanted diamonds from them.... therefore I assume that recovery of said diamonds from the rocks was the goal.

If he IS just trying to remove those pesky diamonds from his beloved rock, then that would be so simple that I doubt he'd come to a science forum for help - he'd just burn them off to CO2 as suggested above more than once. However, it is still my suspicion that he wants to recover the diamonds - why wouldn't he?.

DrEvidence
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 03:18

I don't care about diamonds, but as nuisance, at least in this case. So diamond reacts with oxygen at high temperature just like graphite? I think I heard somewhere that diamond dissolves in nitric acid and/or hydrogen peroxide at room temperature to convert to CO2, but can't find such reference now.
DrP
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 03:19

Let's ask him. DrEvidence - are you trying to recover these diamonds or simply destroy them to purify your rock?

Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 03:20

Well, actually OP says in his question he wants to avoid heat. That's why I suggested a lens, so at least the heat can be applied locally.
DrP
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 03:20

OK - simultaneous posting - you were right -- he wants to destroy them.

DrEvidence
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 03:23

Whatever, just need to dissolve soil and rocks in one place where they are already, without removing them and processing later. Yes, local small heat could be an option too. Need some safe slow silent method, nothing too big too fast.
j_sum1
Super Moderator

Mood: Metastable, and that's good enough.

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 03:41

I thought he wanted to chemically dissolve his rock to recover the diamonds in it.

Like any ore extraction or indeed any established industrial process, you start by thoroughly understanding the current methods. Then because you know the hemistry of your product well, you can adapt or redesign the method to meet particular system requirements or properties of your start material.

The op has not shown evidence of research, does not seem to know the properties of diamond, has not stated what material he is working with, and has not framed his question clearly in an unambiguous fashion.

I can't see this going anywhere productive.

j_sum1
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
2-5-2018 at 03:42

Go To Top