Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silicon steel alloy??
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

Mood: PERFECT

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 14:51
Silicon steel alloy??

If I can melt iron how can I make Silicon steel alloy which is very good at boiled H2SO4? How can I blance silicon percent and is it pure silicon or silica?

Sam
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 15:33

Silicon. Silica is slag (which is present in certain specialty steels such as real wrought iron).

Either start with transformer iron (2~4% Si) or cast iron (thin sections such as radiators preferred), or add ferrosilicon. You'll probably need to add some anyway, depending on the trade-off between workability and corrosion resistance.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 16:33

I don't think corrosion resistant silicon-iron alloys are worked much, unless at red heat, but mostly is cast. Casting is all you're likely to be able to do, but you'd better read up on the alloys you want first. You'll want at least 15% silicon.

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/MatSelect/corriron.htm

http://www.sulfuricacid.com/documents/NorFalco_H2SO4TechBroc...

http://www.us.schott.com/tubing/english/download/kimax_corro...

Unless you're trying to do more than 20 liters in a batch, glass is the way to go. The lower concentration of acid you gave is tougher on the SiFe than higher concentrations. And SiFe has been known to fail catastrophically when is use concentrating H2SO4, there's several embrittlement modes.
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 23:11

if we talk about hastelloy, is it has good work in concentration H2SO4? what is the best trade? can we use coated hastelloy "thickness??!"?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2007 at 00:12

If you talk about Hastelloy, which of the twenty or more of them are you referring to?

Have you read that H2SO4 pdf I gave the link for? It addresses some aspects of materials to use, nice graphs.

You are getting into chem engineering territory now. I've not worked with alloys like the Hastelloy family, so I don't know a lot of detail. I do know that some extra care is needed in fabricating them, they are rather sensitive to carbon contamination which reduces their corrosion resistance and can weaken them mechanically.

These alloys are somewhat expensive, and can be a bother to work with. How much acid do you have? Even casting silicon-iron doesn't pay back on anything but industrial plant size operations, if you are doing that much you do not want to be asking hobbyists advice on how to build such a plant, that is unless you're hoping to get your name in the press in the context of an industrial disaster. Don't cheap out on building large scale apparatus, it's more costly in the long run. And I'm saying this as someone who has run reactions at 50 atmospheres and done hot tube reactions at 600 C.

[Edited on 14-4-2007 by not_important]
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2007 at 12:32

Yes, your files was very helpful,
I am working in concentration 35% H2SO4 becase we have Feasibility study in my country that it is cheaper than conc. acid.
I'd like to ask about simple and easy vessel "not pyrex" like coating lead on steel as you pdf that lead is good in five zones, and about NiCr alloy can I use heating wire directly to ceramic vessel becasue it is more resistance for oxidation???

what about corrision rates of that alloy in pdf file for zones?
Can we boil acid in ceramic coated metal vessel??
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2007 at 20:05

When you say "35% is cheaper than concentrated acid" do you mean "costs less per liter or kg", or "costs less per mole of acid" ? Because if the 35% acid cost per liter (or kg) is any more than roughly 1/3 the cost of the concentrated acid, the 35% is actually more expensive. I'm assuming that this means you are importing the H2SO4,

Given what you've said, I'd say you're looking at industrial scale methods, and need to talk with an chemical engineer, preferably one with plant design experience. Designing equipment on that scale is a bit different than doing it on lab scale, and there are economic tradeoffs in choosing the best method that just don't arise on the lab scale.

I can say that matching a ceramic or glass coating to metal that is going to be run through a nearly 300 C temperature range is going to be a bit tricky. Pinholes can be a problem, especially with ceramics; matching thermal expansion closely enough that the coating remains intact and adhered to the metal will take care.

The solution is going to partially depend on the use of the acid, some applications can tolerate higher amounts of impurities from corrosion of the container.

[Edited on 15-4-2007 by not_important]
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 15-4-2007 at 07:32

What about plating a highly corrosion resistant metal on to say, copper?

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 11:52

Go To Top