Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old decomposed Titanium (III) Chloride
sbreheny
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 19:16
Old decomposed Titanium (III) Chloride

Hi all,

I recently bought an old (I'd estimate 30 years old) bottle of what was supposed to be a 20% solution of TiCl3. I didn't pay much and didn't expect too much. When it arrived, instead of a purple solution, there was a milky white suspension with considerable precipitate in the bottle - all of it yellowish white. The liquid is quite acidic - pH of about 1 to 0. The precipitate doesn't dissolve in an excess of water, nor in concentrated HCl, nor in about 50% H2SO4. Any idea what this gunk might be? The bottle cap was slightly loose when I received it (but wrapped with electrical tape) so I assume it was exposed to air for at least a few years. I think the solution was originally HCl in water with the TiCl3 also dissolved.

I was suspecting that the precipitate might be TiO2 but I thought that should dissolve in concentrated HCl.

It's difficult to find information about this chemical (TiCl3) because it seems that many sources confuse it with TiCl4, a super corrosive liquid which produces HCl fumes in air and reacts violently with water (I also have about 100mL of that from a previous acquisition so I am familiar with it).

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks,
Sean
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 19:24

TiO2 sounds about right.
TiCl3 is not stable in aqueous solution and even in strong solutions of HCl it will hydrolyse over a matter of days if not hours.
OTOH, TiO2 is pretty impervious to HCl and will sit happily, doing nothing in the bottom of a container.

sbreheny
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 19:33

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
TiO2 sounds about right.
TiCl3 is not stable in aqueous solution and even in strong solutions of HCl it will hydrolyse over a matter of days if not hours.
OTOH, TiO2 is pretty impervious to HCl and will sit happily, doing nothing in the bottom of a container.

Hmmm, well this was originally sold as a lab reagent so it must have had a shelf life of longer than days. I've attached a photo of the original label. This label just says "20% solution" but almost every other source I can find states that there is about 30% HCl in the solution rather than just water. Some of them also include phosphoric acid in about 3 to 5% concentration.

Can you think of any way to test whether this is indeed TiO2?

Sean

ticl3_sm.png - 406kB
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 23:39

My experience with TiCl3 is from preparing it by reacting Ti powder with HCl. It won't have nearly the purity of proper reagent grade; it will have impurities, more exposure to oxygen and is likely to degrade a lot quicker.

AFAIK TiO2 is the stable form that titanium nearly always ends up as. I don't recall what hydroxides are possible, but really, what else could it be?

As for tests for TiO2, I am not sure there are any simple ones. Keen to know if someone does have one.

This probably means your reagent is ruined. TiO2 is really inert and not worth much.

Go To Top