craynerd
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2007 at 05:34
AS Organics - Microscale chem

Hi Guys

I just got this a while back on ebay:

http://www.kimble-kontes.com/html/pg-747010.html

I teach A level Chemistry and have given the students an opportunity to carry out esterification and oxidation of alcohols using the set. They really enjoyed it. To be honest, we have the full scale quick-fit but they enjoyed doing it in microscale.

I am trying to get some more ideas for practicals involving the following topics on the curriculum:

Alkanes - Free Radical Substitution
Substitution and dehydration of alcohols
Haloalkane nucleophilic substitution and elimination
Reactions of alkenes - electrophilic addition inc. addition polymerisation

Sorry, i know this is a very broad topic, i am just looking for some exciting ideas. I feel the alcohols topics was very good, full of practical but the other topics were lacking

Enjoy reading the forums

C
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-4-2007 at 09:52

Have you seen the university level lab text "Introduction to Organic Laboratory Techniques," by Pavia, Kriz, et al? It is intended for "small scale" like 19/22 glassware, but could probably be adapted for microscale. It has experiments covering the subjects you mentioned.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
matei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-4-2007 at 10:00

You can find lots of experiments developed especially for microscale in Journal of Chemical Education.
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 25-4-2007 at 13:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
Have you seen the university level lab text "Introduction to Organic Laboratory Techniques," by Pavia, Kriz, et al? It is intended for "small scale" like 19/22 glassware, but could probably be adapted for microscale. It has experiments covering the subjects you mentioned.

@Magpie, Pavia et al. was my textbook back in college. I still have it, great book. College organic chem was one of my favorite courses that I ever took.

@craynerd, another book you might try is "Macroscale and Microscale Organic Experiments" by Williamson. It is superb.
ultrabuf
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2007 at 15:19

My chem teacher has a book called Vial Organic, it has several microscale organic reactions, some of which I will soon be doing since I'm a teacher assistant for her right now.

Go To Top