Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Nitrate production
Vexing
Harmless

Mood: vexed

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 12:45
Sodium Nitrate production

I not sure if I'm allowed to start a new topic within such a short time of another but here it goes...

I have read on this forum elsewhere that (very diluted) Nitric Acid can be made by dissolving Ammonium Nitrate into vinegar. Can Sodium Nitrate be made by adding salt or Sodium carbonate to this mixture? If so, which would work better?

\"For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.\"
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 13:06

I've been away a long time. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the dilute HNO3 from AN and acetic acid?

I suspect that the nitric acid formed is just in situ. You would have a hard time isolating any NaNO3 I do believe with the NaOAc contamination.

If you can get AN, you can just mix it with NaHCO3, Na2CO3, or NaOH and boil the solution. The Ammonium salt will decompose into water, ammonia, and/or CO2. Obviously, this is an out door activity. You will be left with a soln of NaNO3. Alternatively, sodium nitrate is commonly available in many places as a fertilizer.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Vexing
Harmless

Mood: vexed

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 13:26

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was something to do with making Silver Nitrate... Anyway, thanks. I didn't know about that method.

[Edited on 24-5-2007 by Vexing]

\"For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.\"

Go To Top