Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mr. Wizard Dead at 89
baconaut
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 11:46
Mr. Wizard Dead at 89

Link
Sadly I've never seen any of his shows, but I hear he was a big inspiration around here
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 13:33

Farewell to a childhood friend and inspiration ,
indeed he was a national treasure .
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 16:02

You beat me to it. I was going to post it, since I picked my posting name thinking of his show. I didn't see too many of the shows as I was living in a country that didn't have television when he was on. It's funny that when you don't have TV you actually have to DO something to be entertained. He got many people of that era interested in science. Today's science shows are very dumbed down, aimed at the lowest common denominator.

[Edited on by Mr. Wizard]
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

sad.gif posted on 13-6-2007 at 16:12
A Sad Day For Science. Mr. Wizard Passes Away.

Don Herbert Passes Away At The Age Of 89.

For those of us who grew up during the 1980's watching "Mr. Wizard's World" on Nickelodeon, this news is indeed quite sad. Don Herbert was an awesome person who taught kids to think analytically and logically, and that science didn't require a massive lab and fancy equipment. This man is the reason why I love chemistry and have a career in the sciences. On one of his shows he took apart fireworks and explained how they worked and what gave all the different colors. I was enthralled with chemistry ever since. R.I.P. Mr. Wizard. You'll be missed. :(

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 16:25

When I first saw this topic I though about the member here. I didn't knew this guy nor this show since it wasn't broadcasted where I live. But anybody who make science clear for children is a great guy, and will be missed.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 17:46

:(:(:(

Say it's not so!

Gone forever, it seems, are the days when he could dismantle fireworks on the show to show us how it worked.

Gone are the demonstrations of electrolysis made so pointed by the inevitable detonation of hydrogen.

Gone are the lycopodium bombs.

Gone, with Sagan, the zest for science and the selfless act of teaching it *well*.

Gone also, and shamefully, is the society that supported such scintillating and informative characters.

NOT gone, however, are the scientists (including me) who were no doubt influenced by you.

Thank you Mr. Wizard, Rest in Peace, Dr* Donald Jeffry Herbert,

O3

*If *ever* an honorary Ph.D needs to be awarded, it's now.

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 18:01

I also enjoyed watching Mr Wizard growing up. He always had interesting experiments and clever demonstrations that taught you something about science. Thinking back now he did it all in "black-and-white" with no catchy music, flashing pictures, or 3 second sound bites. But that was a different era.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 18:34

He was an incredible human being with such a love for science and teaching science to others. He is the reason why I got into the sciences and I'll never forget that. Every morning I'd turn on the TV to see "Mr. Wizard's World" and wonder what neat experiment would be done that day. I always wanted to be on his show so badly. God it makes me feel really old when I read another story about someone I watched and idolized growing up has passed away. It's a sad day indeed. We should all do something with regards to science in honor of Dr. Herbert. (And he deserves to be called Dr. regardless of what his official title is). :(

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 19:07

Unfortunatly I too am one who never had the opportunity to see his show, I still occasionally check torrent sites with no avail.
However his reputation preceedes him, in my mind a man of the hightest caliber, and he will be missed.

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 13-6-2007 at 20:47

That is unfortunate. His shows were standard fare for my middle school science classes and really impressed me. He, and my teacher then exposed me to chemistry and captivated my interest. R.I.P. Mr. Wizard, you did a great thing. He was the first mainstream science personality.

Not surprising that I didn't see anything about this on the news, just more about Paris Hilton in jail.

Whatever happened to Bill Nye the Science Guy? He was no Mr. Wizard, but he did some cool demos.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2007 at 05:23

If you go to www.mrwizardsworld.com you can actually buy DVDs of his shows. I'm probably going to be doing that so if I have kids someday they can see the great shows just as I did.

Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 14-6-2007 at 05:49

I grew up watching Mr. Wizard's World. This is a sad day.:( I used to perform the experiment that he gave at the end of his show. He would show the viewers something they could do at home. My grandmother ( I call her MaMaw ) freaked out one day at lunch, when after watching Mr. Wizard I sliced a banana without peeling it! She was preparing lunch when she peeled an already sliced banana. :o I will always remember the puzzled surprise on her face. Thanks Mr. Wizard, you will be missed.

[Edited on 14-6-2007 by Phosphor-ing]
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2007 at 16:50

It's kind of funny that when a family member passed away last year I felt a bit upset about it, but when Mr. Wizard passed away earlier this week it really hit me hard. I mean, the man is the reason why I got into the field of science in the first place.

After finding out about his death, I typed up an e-mail and sent it to his family. I think it's something everyone who was touched by Mr. Wizard should do to show his family just how much he was loved. In addition, I highly suggest purchasing products from the company he set up to let his legacy and his influence spread even further after his passing. The world has lost a great individual, but the inspiration he brought to many of us will never be lost.

tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 00:22

:(RIP Mr Wizard. We will miss all your inspiration and all the things you have taught us.:( Your shows have created an interest of science in all of us:( This is a sad day to remember.:(

Go To Top