Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Picric acid
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2007 at 19:04
Picric acid

Being the extrodinary amount of crap that you have to cut through to recieve a simple, explanitory answer on RS.org, I have decided to post here due to the more "friendlyness" of this forum, we are all fellow chemists right? :)

Anyway, I am going too make some TNP (picric acid) and have been advised on it's sencitivity. MSDS states that it is very volitle and to dangerous to handle when dry, however they failed to produce an MSDS on acetone peroxide, so I think I am good to go :D. Megalomania says that Picric is at a medium sensitivity level. Being that he doesn't state what the sencitivity is in comparison too I searched around to find that it is pretty sensitive, but yet much better "handleability" than AP or HMTD. So I ask, what are you experiences with it, an are there any stablaizers out there that can be mixed in to enhance the stability for easier handling?

Thanks for any help.
koolanaa
Harmless

Mood: Psychotic

[*] posted on 14-6-2007 at 19:07

Picric acid is pretty dangerous and sensative.
keep it away from all metals --

To light, Or not to light...
-That is the question-
Axt
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2007 at 19:14

There must be like 30 threads on this already. Download a <a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/library/books/the_chemistry_of_powder_and_explosives.pdf">book</a> if your still left with no idea, this is all trivial stuff.

Koolanaa stop posting and read, or fuck off. Your really annoying.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 14-6-2007 at 19:24

Picric acid is only unpredictably dangerous in unsupervised contact with metals, and to armchair chemists. The dry sensitivity is overrated.

There is much out there on this, search. The book Axt linked to is excellent place to start learning about it..

Closed.

[Edited on 14-6-2007 by The_Davster]

Go To Top