Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reaction vessel from a computer cathode tube.....
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 30-6-2007 at 20:01
Reaction vessel from a computer cathode tube.....

I recently took apart an old IMac computer and salvaged all I could use, one thing I noticed that after breaking the cathode tube ..... there is a neat fine sieve screen inside that is useful , but more to the point the cathod glass tube is very thick and can be used for a reaction vessel.....I bet it will hold a good amount of pressure.........I will take one apart carefully and remove the gas material safely as well as the screen that's inside for other uses and test the tube for usefulness as a reaction vessel......has anyone tried using the tube for a reaction vessel? .....solo

[Edited on 30-6-2007 by solo]

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-6-2007 at 20:48

Do mind the 2nd anode connection, which is probably a metal seal, as well as its internal coating (is it barium, or merely metallization -- aluminum?). And the phosphors (rare earths, maybe beryllium among them?).

Use a glass scoring "blade" to snap it at a convienient place, then go over the edges with lots of wet/dry SiC sandpaper to ease the edges. You might also sand off the aquadag (bonded graphite stuff) on the outside.

I doubt the glass is anything special, beyond the lead content, at least in the face. It's probably not a good idea to heat it, but as a big, rectangular Erlenmeyer, it'd probably work. Kinda large for swirling titrations though :D

The shadow mask probably makes a great screen for sifting things around 100 mesh or less.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 12:03

Go To Top