Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reduction of Phosphoric Acid
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 8-8-2003 at 19:54
Reduction of Phosphoric Acid

Would it be possible to reduce Ortho-Phosphoric Acid, which is the most common OTC form of Phosphoric Acid, into it's Meta- and Hypo- derivatives? These acids are much less common, and for those interested in Organophosphorus Chemistry, much more useful.

I am particularly interested in Hypophosphoric Acid (H3PO2). It has two Hydrogens bonded directly to the Phosphorus, perhaps allowing for easy substitutions (to allow for synthesis of Phosphonates). Metaphosphoric Acid would also be useful, perhaps for the synthesis of DFP (should my idea about substituting the "non-acid" Hydrogens be possible).

Now, can anyone tell me if the following reaction will yield the desired results?

H3PO4 + C --> H3PO2 + CO2

Or instead of Carbon, should a better reducing Agent be used, such as Tin or Zinc? If this reaction does in fact work, what kind of temperatures would be required? Also, would high temperatures dehydrate the Ortho-Phosphoric Acid to Pyrophosphoric Acid? Or would it simply decompose it to Phosphine and other such things?

[Edited on 8-9-03 by Samosa]
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 9-8-2003 at 13:01

Heating H<sub>3</sub>PO<sub>4</sub> would initially dehydrate it to H<sub>4</sub>P<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>. From there, it'll dehydrate further into higher polyphosphoric acids, until you have metaphosphoric acid. You might be able to reduce metaphosphoric acid by heating it with charcoal at temperatures around that required to generate elemental phosphorus from a phosphate, silicon dioxide, and charcoal. Metals will just react with the acid in a typical single replacement reaction, liberating hydrogen gas.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.

Go To Top