500gm Sodium Nitrite $15

3oz Nickel Chloride $30

500ml GAA $10

500ml ACS 37% HCl $20

250ml LG H2SO4 $10

5 pounds USP Sodium Chloride $10

1000ml Ethyl Acetate $15

500ml Ethylene Glycol $10

The amounts are approximate. The exact weight will be given before a purchase is made and the price adjusted accordingly. I should have more than this; I will check my other closest soon. I would prefer to sell this all at once. I also have all kinds of glassware, a barely used 10x10 digital stirring hotplate, and an oil-less KNF diaphragm vacuum pump that pulls 10 torr. PM if interested.

[Edited on 22-7-2007 by kemikallyimbalanced]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 18-7-2007 at 22:13

I'm sorry, do you mean that the KNF diaphragm pump achieves a final vacuum of 10mm Hg in a minute?

I am always interested in a good KNF ptfe diaphragm pump. How much are you asking for it?

And can you post a photo and model details?
tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2007 at 08:10

IN $US or what?
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 19-7-2007 at 09:24

Are you in the US? If so you can't own LGRP + I2 together. The combat methamphetamine act states owning any 2 of ephedrine/psuedoephedrine, Red Phosphorus, or Iodine is intent to manufacture. I would be careful selling those two, especially together! Don't sell those together to a US member. Otherwise you could be commiting a felony!
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2007 at 18:08

Worse than that. Even if you are not in the US, if you sell RP + I2 to an American in the US (or anyone in the US) are are committing a federal felony.

And so is the person who purchases from you, whether he/she knows it or not.

The stuff would never clear Customs, and if it did, likely it would be a controlled delivery soon followed by a knock on the door (or a battering ram.)
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 19-7-2007 at 20:22

weird! afoaf bought those two together a few years ago... in the US ... might have been before the last round of supermadness .. I'll ask him when I see him.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2007 at 20:53

What about the case of the couple in UK selling chemicals, including I2 and RP, into the US over the Internet?

According to the reports on this forum they were arrested in UK at request of DEA and either have been extradited to Arizone or are awaiting extradition, they were not US citizens nor were they in the US, nor was selling those two chemicals seperately or together illegal in the UK. Nevertheless they are in the dock in Phoenix.

Admittedly they sold a lot more than 14 g but, that's not much of a defense these days is it?

I do not know if the member who is offering these chemicals is in or out of US, my point is that it matters not.

He might, if he is outside of the US, be able to sell them to someone also not in the US. But if he sells them from within the US to within the US, or sells them into the US from abroad, then he and his buyer are both in the proverbial trick bag. Which is not a place to be.
tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 03:20

Did you know that the Polonium radioactive substance that killed Litveninko can be bought online at unitednuclear? Gives me the creeps, such loose control over chemicals online!
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 03:52

it can be bought in the High Street by a child also, keep your hair on!

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 03:55

Don't be an alarmist. That's a sealed source and the amount is altogether trivial.

I get the creeps when someone from Sg starts talking about loose controls, not everyone wants to live in a police state.

Next will you start talking about anti-static brushes? How about smoke detectors? Minute alpha sources are all around, and of no consequence. This entire subject has been hyped out of all proportion that silly person who was running 'Five' and who was apparently the biggest lens-louse since Allen Dulles.

The murder of that dissident former officer in UK was a state sponsored political assassination. Russia has shitpiles of polonium left over from its space program (thermal protection for batteries for lunar landers).
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 04:57

Quote:
Originally posted by tito-o-mac
Did you know that the Polonium radioactive substance that killed Litveninko can be bought online at unitednuclear? Gives me the creeps, such loose control over chemicals online!

Yeah and dihydrogen monoxide, responsible for the deaths of thounds of innocent children each year is pumped by the gallon into your home.

:) " not everyone wants to live in a police state"
You beat me to it Sauron

[Edited on 20-7-2007 by The_Davster]

YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 07:18

Tritium anyone? :P

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
kemikallyimbalanced
Harmless

Mood: Exothermic

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 12:59

The pump is an UN726.3FTP (http://www.knf.com/pdfs/n726ftp.pdf). It is 115V, not 230V like it states in that PDF. It pulls a steady 10 torr within a few seconds of it being turned on. It was purchased about a year ago brand new for about $2,200 and has been used in about 50 or so vacuum distillations. I’m only asking $1,000 for it and $500 for the plate (cimarec.com), which was used a handful of times and should still be under warranty I’m in the process of purchasing a new digital camera and I will put up pics as soon as I get it. I could take some photos with another camera I have, but it’s not very good.

Don’t worry about RP and I2. I have shipped things that are way more controlled than that to many countries without any issues at all. It will pass through customs guaranteed. I can only accept USD. Cash in the mail is the only way I do business. Whoever is still interested PM me.

[Edited on 20-7-2007 by kemikallyimbalanced]

[Edited on 22-7-2007 by kemikallyimbalanced]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 16:33

Thanks for the price. Last KNF I got was on LabX out of a Smith Kline & French lab abd I bought it for $250. It served me well, I gave it to my ex partner in New Orleans and it was lost in Katrina. Oh well.

There's one on the Internet right now for $350 (you wll forgive me for not saying just where as I will buy it.)

YouTThisTr does sound sweet, just a little high IMO.

This is what <$299 buys on the used vacuum pump market. Also KNF PTFE diaphragm and made in 2000, 2 amps @115 VAC, Model UN726.1.2FTP. I will have to run it on a stepdown and I will lose 16% displacement performance by operating on 50 Hz, But same is true of yours, were I to buy it. I have now ordered this baby from one of my regular suppliers. Yours is a lot newer but I have found KNF pumps to have a long life cycle.

As you can see from your own data sheet, they are same model, but yours is set up for two stage thus pulling a lower max vacuum but at half the displacement. Mine pulls twice the displacement but at 49 torr instead of 10 torr.

So it's not quite the same, but close.

[Edited on 21-7-2007 by Sauron]

63695.jpg - 48kB
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2007 at 01:41

Incidentally, it may be that the UN726.1.2 and the 726.3 are interconvertible. While I have not yet obtained a schematic or exploded drawing, I suspect that the former is simply two heads connected in parallel and the latter, two heads connected in series.

This is certainly true of the Buchi V1000 series where they have two seperate pumps (basically two of their V500s) connected in one instance in parallel, and in another in series, and in a third case they made it so the user can select either configuration at any time. The Buchi pumps are lovely but overpriced, I have always wanted one but they rarely turn up on used market.
kemikallyimbalanced
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-7-2007 at 13:20

Yours looks almost like mine except it's longer... umm, that didn't sound too good.. hehehe. O_o So, with the displacement mine doesn't pull exactly 10 torr then?
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2007 at 18:38

If your unit has two heads then it should be exactly same length as mine, 9.75" according to the KNF data sheet. The only shorter model is the single head one which is 8.0 inches long.

The displacement and the max or ult vacuum are inversely related. It's just like volta vs amps in electricity.

A two head pump is essentially two pumps sharing same motor. All UN726.XXFTP models are two head pumps. The difference between then is only how the output is interconnected.

Your UN726.3FTP has the two heads connected in series, that is, it's a two stage pump. The output of the first stage is input of the second stage. This gets you a lower max vacuum, 5 times lower in fact, but the displacement is same as the single stage UN726 (see brochure) which only has a single head. That is 17 L/min.

My UN726.1.2FTP, has the two heads connected in parallel, NOT in series, this means that it operates exactly like to independent pumps hooked up to a vac.manifold. The ultimate vacuum is same as the single head pump, 49 torr not 10. But the displacement is 30 L/min.

You will also note that the little UN726 single stage/single head pump has a 1 A motor and both of the two head models (yours and mine) have 2 amp motors (at 115V), that is one ampere PER HEAD. The power in watts required to drive the pump is the V x the A by definition = 230VA = 230W. You will see your data sheet agrees.

For most wetlab bench work, such as distillation, dessication, etc. your model is better. 10 torr is good and few operations will require a harder vacuum, in which case a two stage oil sealed pump is needed. Sometimes in an organic lab we need to oprate in the range of 1 to 0.1 torr but not very often.

Physicists would laugh at this "vacuum" because they often operate at vacuums in the 10-to the minus-6 torr range. That is hard vacuum country. What we chemists regard as vacuum is by their standards a joke.

I have large equipment like a 20 L Buchi rotavap, which needs more displacement and cannot tolerate a vacuum beyond about 100 torr due to implosion risk. So the UN726.1.2FTP is better for those applications. But I am still in the market for a pump with a lower max vacuum. My Eyela dual aspirator pump will pull about 20 torr. So I guess I need to look for a two stage oil sealed pump to cover the 0.1 to 20 torr range.

[Edited on 22-7-2007 by Sauron]
kemikallyimbalanced
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2007 at 15:34

Thanks for the info… you seem like a very analytical person, but how come safrole boils at 106C with this vacuum and my vacuum gauge stays at a steady 29.5mmHg when it’s on? Once I get my new camera I will post pics of the gauge.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2007 at 17:48

I guess I am confused. Are you saying that your 1 year old 726.3FTP won't pull down below 29.5torr (= mmHg) when you distill safrole?

I'm not sure what safrole has to do with the price of beans. You could be getting a minor leak somewhere. What will the pump pull, with a small emptry flask and all joints and tubing connections well sealed? The pump is to new to need a rebuild.

Incidentally this whole series of pumps is obsolete, KNF now sells their Laboport pumps, which are touted as needed no cold trap.

You NEED a cold trap (like, dry ice/acetone or liq N2) interposed between the distillation and the UN726 series pumps or else you will get liquid in the flapper valves, bad bad bad.
kemikallyimbalanced
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 11:17

According to the vacuum gauge it doesn’t get any lower than 10 torr. At 10 torr safrole boils at around 106C and that’s the temp it comes over with this vac. Doesn’t 29.5mmHg = 10 torr? I haven’t tried the empty flask thing. Yeah, I really want to get one of those Laboport vacs with that digital gauge/regulator etc. Just not having to use a cold trap makes me want to buy one… I love how quite they are too. :)
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 15:52

If you are reading 10 torr then you are at the limit of the pump. Torr is by definition same as mm Hg, and is not same as bar or mPa, but can be interconverted. I use a Buchi V805 digital controller which can switch between the three.

So your pump is performing perfectly.

GOOD NEWS FROM KNF USA SERVIDE DEPT

I was right, the UN726.1.2FTP can be reconfidured to the UN726.3FTP bu user. They also gave me a pdf of the operation and service manual, which is you don't have I can post here. This includes exploded drawing and parts list.

I love KNF, they are a great company.

Go To Top