Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Barium Peroxide
kryss
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 14:39
Barium Peroxide

Any ideas how to make BaO2 from BaCO3 / BaCL2 or BaNO3? I've read that BaO forms the peroxide at a red heat with air or oxygen if CO2 isnt present but this seems more complicated than precipitation with H2O2 and filtering.
a123x
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 17:31

Decompose the barium nitrate into the oxide then heat like you mention. Barium carbonate I suppose could work but requires a very high temperature to decompose. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by precipitation with H2O2. If you mean reacting a barium salt with H2O2 and having the BaO2 precipitate then it won't work. Barium peroxide reacts with water to form barium hydroxide and H2O2 which should rapidly decompose into H2O and O2 in the high ph environment of the Ba(OH)2.
kryss
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 10:14

I've since read in an old inorganic text book that BaO takes up oxygen at 100 degrees - thats certainly a more manageable temperature - although on reflection Ba(NO3)2 is probably as good an oxidiser as the peroxide - would need Mg ribbon anyway to act as an initiator which is the one thing i didnt order as its quite dear!

Go To Top