Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chromatography of acetone condensation products
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 15:50
Chromatography of acetone condensation products

I did a paper chromatography of the mixture of condensation products. It was from acetone and H2SO4 and left over night. The solution is dark brown.
The chromatography was done with 70% EtOH and chromatography paper.

I need help identifying which colors belong to which compounds. There are two "yellow" compounds I know come from acetone, isophorone and phorone.

DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 20-8-2007 at 20:49

When I run TLC's, I always make three rows to spot:

-Starting Material
-Mixture
-Products

Naturally, one would spot the starting material (acetone) in the "starting material" lane. A mixture of the starting material and the products would be spotted in the "mixture" lane, and the products would be spotted in the "products" lane. Pretty self-explanatory.

This made comparisons and identifications a lot easier, when the spots migrated cleanly and stayed in their lanes, that is.

In this case, identifying acetone would be easy if you ran a second chromatography test with a separate lane including the original acetone.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 04:50

What stain did you use to develop the paper?

What you could do is try a few reactions with different quantites of acid (and a lighter acid) and different times of reaction, the higher condensation products (isophorone) could appear in the longer reaction times. Or just follow the reaction with TLC, the first products appearing would be the lighter ones. Just an idea.

I'm actually surprised there so few reaction products. I was under the impression that aldol reaction with acetone, especially wwith H2SO4, produces tons of aldol/addition/deshydratation products, and mostly tar. The room temp must leed to fewer reaction products.

PS: raw guess, but I would think the bottom stains would be the isopherone

[Edited on 21-8-2007 by Klute]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 13:17

Quote:
Originally posted by DDTea
Naturally, one would spot the starting material (acetone) in the "starting material" lane.

You can not spot a compound more volatile than the mobile phase due to it obviously evaporating. Acetone moves practiacaly on the front in just about any mobile phase anyway.
Quote:
Originally posted by Klute
What stain did you use to develop the paper?

I think Guy just separated the colored crap from acetone self condensation. It does not look like he used any reagent to develop the TLC. Phorone should not be yellow enough for such visual identification without staining. Those spots are probably some higher condensation products. Phorone, mesitylene and similar are however UV-absorbing so they should be visible on normal flouroscent TLC plates.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 17:51

That would explain why there is only 3 stains :)
I guess UV would reveal much more products, or simply I2 vapors.
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 18:01

Since I used a kind of polar solvent, I think most of the nonpolar stuff like the tar products stayed at the bottom in that red dot.
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 18:03

Can naptha be used as a substitute for hexane in chromatography?
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 20:19

I have used ligroin, and that is pretty close (~ 60-90°C, C7-C11, fraction), but... you have to be patient with its evaporation--and it takes longer to develop.

Pet ether, or the 35°C fraction of "naptha" (when I was younger I accidentally blew up a fireplace with this as I had mistaken it for the heavier cut) also works, but the primary isomer range around C5 makes volatility something to consider.

Oh yes, don't "let it soak in" and do use a match on the end of a looong stick:P.

I hate to call it "reference", but Wiki has:
"The 60 to 80 °C fraction is often used as a replacement for hexane."

Cheers,

O3

[Edit] Fractionated gasoline (petrol C5-C8>>C10) should also work quite nicely, OTC. The fractionation serves to remove oxygenates (forerun) whilst leaving the surfactants, lacquer, etc. behind.

[Edited on 21-8-2007 by Ozone]

[Edited on 21-8-2007 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2007 at 17:48

My favourite eluant when purifying sulfurated heterocycles was pentane or haxanes wiht 1-5% of DCM or ether, the seperations where often much better (and elution quicker) than simply hydrocarbons. I nearly always use similar eluant mixtures now. You could try low boiling naphta (you might need to distill it if it leaves some higher boiling liquids on evaporation) and 1% DCM on TLC and gradually increase the % of DCM until you have the optimal seperation.

Keep us posted, I find this interesting.
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2007 at 18:16

For the moment I have run out of equipment and reagents, but I'm sure many of are more qualified to do this. It would be cool if someone else could contribute to this.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2007 at 16:06

I'll give it a try when I have time, on TLC and using different times/catalyst (silica gel and a few days should be a very mild catalyst and could yield only lighter products)

But I can't acces GC-MS, IR or NMR (don't think I'll be able to use the NMR for this though) until next month at best...
WizardX
Hazard to Self

Mood: wizardx.suddenlaunch3.com

[*] posted on 26-8-2007 at 17:00

If you can, purchase TLC plates that fluorescence.

http://inst.sfcc.edu/chemscape/catofp/chromato/tlc/tlc.htm
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/analysis/chromatography/thinlayer...

Albert Einstein - \"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.\"
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2007 at 15:32

I personnaly use only UV 254nm silica plates, it's so practical, and a small UV lamp used in board etching can be had for cheap..

It makes TLC so much easier :)

And the prices of the UV plates aren't that different from "normal" ones

Go To Top