Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "For the purpose of"
Slimz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 24-9-2007 at 12:58
"For the purpose of"

the phrase "For the purpose of" seems to be one that is used a lot in law. An example as it pertains to a chemist would be;

you want not extract chemical X for the purpose of Z.

where X could be any number of naturally occurring substances that have some legal restrictions (aka drugs mostly)

and Z would be something like Ingestion or Sale

My question is extraction those substances, for the purpose of lab experimentation, be illegal?

Like say you wanted to start with mescaline for the purpose of finding a drug that cured Parkinson's diseases? What EXACTLY does "For the purpose of" mean??? i know that owning a cactus is legal and that extracting the mescaline for use as a drug is illegal so where is the line..

Could one get permission from the DEA (not me but someone with a degree) to do such experiments?

[Edited on 24-9-2007 by Slimz]

Johnny was a chemist’s son, but now he is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 24-9-2007 at 14:26

Your question seems to be pretty muddled, but the DEA does grant some licenses to experiment with controlled substances that are otherwise legally unavailable (Schedule I).

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 25-9-2007 at 16:49

TTBoMK you are referring to DEA form 222. The form that is used by the DEA asks for information pertaining to the use of (in reference to purchasing) a listed or controlled substance. IF that information is not pertinent to a research proposal or such that does not make any sense or is just plain BS it is denied. The "line" is simple.....is what you are doing a legitimate aspect of research or is it BS? For instance you may ask for permission to buy testosterone for purposes of a research but they want to see what your proposal is and issues surrounding same. Thus you may need a small amount for a legit project but ask to buy four quarts....no dice, etc, etc
Slimz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2007 at 09:41

ok almost what i was looking for. I am specifically asking about extraction not purchase. I think the laws would be the same. Consider this question. Would a 222 form be sufficient to allow a person to extract the crap out of some coca leaves (used to make cocaine) for the purpose of valid research into a possible cancer treatment drug. And if that is the case would the limit the amount of the leaves you could have at any given time, or what. I can understand laws where they only let you buy or obtain x amount, but extraction in a little different.

[Edited on 26-9-2007 by Slimz]

Johnny was a chemist’s son, but now he is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4
PainKilla
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2007 at 09:46

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugreg/index.html

Unless you have a post-doc, university or company affiliation, and proper facilities, not to mention, the intent to extract for the actual purpose of research, then no. Extracted materials have no place in a research laboratory anyway. The pharmaceutical industry is founded upon quality, and an extraction pretty much forgoes that point completely. You'd more than likely need to publish a paper on just *what* you are extracting before you could extract for another purpose.

So forget about it. Let the professionals handle it.

Slimz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2007 at 10:05

Thanks for the link.. and your inaccurate patronizing remarks.
Reading this is giving me a headache, think ill go extract some Salicylic acid from some willow bark.

[Edited on 26-9-2007 by Slimz]

Go To Top