Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: recorder pens
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 13:48
recorder pens

I'm trying to get a suitable chart recorder pen for the 237B Perkin-Elmer IR. It would have a vertical, cylindrical body with a 90deg bend in a wire to the pen tip. There are some honeywell pens I found googling that are too bulky.

Anyone know how to find things like these please u2u me. I know I can find 'em eventually but I'm in a hurry to get this IR in service.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 22:09

I take it that P-E is no help?

Most likely there is some aftermarket company that does nothing but make chart/strip recorder pens, and they will have some huge master list of models sorted by manufacturer and the cat number of their product that is a direct replacement.

It is like that for UV lamps for many many out of production UV spectrometers, spectrophotometers, detecors, etc. There must be 5-10 OEMs out there making D2 and other UV lamps for HP and Waters etc instruments that HP and Waters themselves no longer support.

I'm sure a similar situation prevails for recorder pens.

You might try to find a company that specializes in second hand instruments repair and service, particularly one that is trying to sell the same model you have, if possible, and ask them how to source the pen or if they can supply the correct pen to you.

I had a similar problem getting the ink cartridge for my ancient hoary Waters Data Modules (integrators) but these turn out to be a still available HP spare part. The same integrators were used by Thermo-SpectraPhysics, HP and Waters. Tractor feed and a primitive hybrid of dot matrix and inkjet printing, i.e., an inkjet with crappy resolution that looks like a DM.

However even that is better than the preceeding models with (ARGHHH!) thermal paper.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 20:26

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. I had gotten to several of them myself. I do have P-E working in it because having found a former handler of pens with the things on its web site, I tried to order and found the company had bailed on the pens. here are Honeywell pens but I would have to make a permanent change to the holder and I don't want to do that until there's no other option. P-E also sent me a pdf of the manual for a 137 but the 237 has one more adjustable parameter. Ironic thing is it cost me about $500 in gasoline, food and lodging to go and pick up the DIR and I could have bought an FTIR on ebay for about that. Oh well ... I like this old machine and the FTIR was some maker I'd never heard of. Indeed the P-E DIR is a rugged SOB .. I brought it home in the back of a pickup and it fired up and responded right away to styrene film. Appropriate response too! So given I can dig up the right consumables I should be pretty happy with it.

Go To Top