Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: mystery reaction...?
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 15:46

The purple precipitate is very strange though. What's your source for Na2CO3? I've done the Al and OH- many times before and I tell you no purple precipitate forms and being that the OH- is the "active" reactant your reaction shouldn't either. I think I'll try doing the same exact set up and see if I get any purple precipitate but I highly doubt it. I just can't see where that stuff would come from.
National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 17:22

i agree it is a little surprising. i think it must come from the Al foil but i may be wrong. as far as my exact setup goes, it was pretty crude. well.. actually very very crude... i realllly need to get some good glassware... it consisted of a quart mason jar with maybe 2 inches of water in the bottom, in it was dissolved maybe 3 to 5 grams Arm and Hammer brand washing soda (about a year or two old.) then i added a 2 inch by 18 inch piece of Reynolds Wrap brand Al foil (made into a spiral that would fit in the jar.) the jar is set in a pot of water on the stove, simmering. it starts bubbling, increasing steadily. only after several minutes does a dark grey-blue gel like ppt start forming in noticeable amounts, eventually the foil disappears and the reaction stops. i filtered it through a paper towel, and squeezed out as much water from the ppt as i could. the remaining liquid was clear, when evaporated in an oven it crystallized out some white ppt, which im assuming is NaCO3. i cant tell if it crystallized out the same amount as i added, it looks roughly the same but i never measured it. the purplish Al hydroxide becomes lighter colored as it dries. as soon as i have time i'll try it again, this time measured and hopefully with some more pure Al. anyone know where i can get some other than the internet? have fun trying to reproduce the purple ppt.
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 18:14

Ahhhh, well, now that you mention it that way then it seems very likely that your purple precipitate is some sort of impurity from the Arm and Hammer washing soda. From what I found just now it contains all sorts of things raging from enzymes to Bentonite clay so I really find it very likely to get unexpected results like that. In other words, you're basically shooting in the dark here.
You should try getting some Na2CO3 from somewhere else with reliable at least discernible purity. One easy OTC way that I'd recommend is to get regular baking soda and oven heat at 250C or so for a while, this will get you relatively pure Na2CO3. Once you've done this then try again, I'm sure no purple precipitate will form this time.
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 18:27

hehh that makes so much more sense. the reason i never considered it is i seemed to remember seeing that it was pure. i apparently remembered wrong, i should have checked. thanks that clears things up alot.
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 18:34

im going to go try it right now, ill get back you you in a while.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 19:04

I've used arm and hammer washing soda before. It is fairly pure, probably with a bit of crud in it since the stuff I have dissolves to a pale tan solution. I use it for washing certain stains off glassware (used extensively while doing curcumin extractions). The hotter the oven, the faster the baking soda (which is quite pure and very wonderfully does not form hydrates like sodium carbonate) decomposes. Spread a thin layer, breaking up lumps and ramp up the oven. I give it an hour at 500F which is massive overkill most likely, but does the job well.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 19:14

hmm yeah my oven only goes to 450F but it should work. its cooking right now. so if its not the washing soda where could the damn purple color come from???
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 19:23

Give it a shot with a different brand of aluminum foil. I usually get grayish aluminum hydroxide from very finely divided metal dispersed in it, but purple seems odd.

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 11:19

Have you been able to replicate the purple precipitant?

Chemkid

[Edited on 9-10-2007 by chemkid]

16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 17:22

With my set up certainly not, I did obtain the grayish precipitate from the NaAlO2 though. My sources were pharmaceutical grade NaHCO3 decomposed to Na2CO3 and regular aluminum foil. The reactants were left over night and then heated for about 5 minutes the day after. About 8 hours later I came back to find the precipitate on the bottom however a quick pH test revealed that the solution is still mostly basic (~10-11) and thus suggests that the reaction is still not done. I think that these results, nonetheless, prove the purple precipitate is not from the reaction itself but from some sort of impurity in his arm and hammer reactant.
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 17:57

well i just finished trying it again, this time with food grade NaHCO3 decomposed to Na2CO3, different brand Al foil. other than that the setup was the same as before. got the normal grey ppt. must have been the washing soda that made things go differently. there was also much less ppt than before. it reacted quickly for a few minutes then slowed down until it almost came to a stop. there as excess Al foil. according to Unintentional Chaos's explanation the Na2CO3 is not used up in the reaction, so what would have stopped it? after it slowed down i added more water but it had little effect. but youre saying its making NaAlO2 which would explain the stop in the reaction.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 18:52

Some degree of it does get tied up in solution as sodium aluminate and some simply gets trapped in the precipitate's matrix. Did you use identical quantities of washing soda and foil as before? Adding more water would actually slow it down since the formation of sodium aluminate is an equilibrium reaction pushed foward by a concentrated solution.

Use the original aluminum foil with the new sodium carbonate and see if you get purple. Simple elimination of possible factors.

arm and hammer + brand 1 = purple
NaHCO3 derived + brand 2 = gray
NaHCO3 derived + brand 1 =?
arm and hammer + brand 2 =?

One of those ? should be purple and the other should be gray. Test one of them.

Did you consider the fact that the new foil may be coated differently than the first foil and this may be stopping the reaction?

[Edited on 10-9-07 by UnintentionalChaos]

National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 20:41

well as far the purple color goes i am pretty sure its from the arm and hammer. i might do some more on that later, but we'll see. after finishing the the reaction with baking soda derived Na2CO3, filtering out the grey sludge and leftover Al. something interesting is that the clear liquid began to precipitate a very fine white ppt. so i put it in a ice water and precipitated as much as i could but it was too fine to be easily filtered. then i boiled off most of the water and filtered out the now clumpy ppt. so i decided to try the same steps on straight NaCO3 to hopefully help determine if the reaction changes things. so i dissolved roughly the same amount of NaCO3 as i used in the earlier reaction (i dont have the time or energy to measure it right now) and am cooling it, but its not precipitating... maybe because of impurities gained in the reaction, im not sure. i'll go boil the unreacted solution and how it precipitates that way. thanks for all the help and suggestions btw.
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 19:21

Well, my take in it is since the reaction of the Al is directly dependent on the presence of OH- anions once all the CO3(2-) has converted itself (due to change in equlibirum) to HCO3- the reaction will stop almost completely (or too slow to be noticeable) due to the reduced amount of OH- present in solution. Also if you consider the equation it balances out rather nicely:
Na +2CO3(2-) + 2H2O + Al ---> 2HCO3- + NaAlO2(s) + H2(g)
A quick test of the presence of CO3(2-) in solution confirms its presence (CO2 gas) and it would follow that it's from the HCO3-. In other words we're getting a NaHCO3 solution with NaAlO2 as precipitate. I would also discard Al(OH)3 as the source of this precipitate due to its amphoteric nature it would dissolve in a strong base and it does not.
Anyway, I hope this helps.
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 19:54

well is there a good test to dertermine if it is NaAlO2? and/or a good way to test if the dissolved Na compound is bicarb or carbonate? also after the reaction completed and was filtered the liquid had a pH ~11.5 if thats any help.
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 20:10

i boiled to the straight Na2CO3, it didnt begin to ppt untill there was very little water left (the post reaction solution began to ppt soon after it began boiling.) it formed a crust on the surface of the water, which did not occur with the other solution. ill try the same thing with NaHCO3 as soon as i have time.

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by 497]
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 18:16

You know, I have to retract what I said about NaAlO2. What I did report was in fact true in the sense that the precipitate didn't dissolve right away (as I would expect from Al(OH)3) in the presence of a strong base but after a day or so the precipitate had completely dissolved. As UnintentionalChaos said, the reaction depends on an equilibrium and this base might have thrown it off to the right but it still doesn't answer whether what forms in the precipitate is Al(OH)3 or NaAlO2.
Your reported pH is very similar to mine but I'd like to know just how much water is in your solution. In my case water is very limited so it's very probable that highly concentrated NaHCO3 is giving the relatively high pH.
I really can't think of a good way of determining whether there are CO3 or HCO3 ions in solution other than taking in consideration the basic properties of the CO3 over the HCO3. I still believe that a stoichiometric result is the best choice and would be very elucidating at this point so perhaps you would like try that. I would try it myself but I have no balance.:(
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 19:07

yeah i lack a decent scale also... hmmm actually i might be able to get ahold of my grandma's gold scale :D. it should be accurate enough. on another note, i doubt the post reaction solution is HCO3 mainly because the pH of a solution of HCO3 similar to the quantity of CO3 i started out with in the earlier reaction was only about 8.5. the pH of the post reaction liquid was about 11.5. i got a pH of about 12 with a similar aount of straight CO3 dissolved. but i find it interesting that neither the known CO3 or HCO3 ppt out at room temp while the mystery post reaction solution does... maybe my quantities weren't as close as i had hoped. i think i'll finally have time to do a somewhat more accurate expirement this weekend.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 21:46

IIRC, some AlĀ° materials are Mn alloys (beer cans, for example). I have observed these becoming pink (purple at high c) under oxidative conditions...

Maybe the Al is not a pure as you think?

just pondering,

O3

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2007 at 00:34

certainly possible. but after switching to Na2CO3 made from NaHCO3 i dont get the purple ppt so i suspect the Arm and Hammer is the culprit. i would still like to use so good pure Al though, for good measure.

so i did a little crude testing of the soluble reaction product. well it is not very soluble at all. i added ~30 ml water to a teaspoon of it, just clouds up the water, eventually settles, very little dissolves (dissolves much better at boiling temp). i also tested carbonate and bicarbonate. a teaspoon of carbonate completely dissolves in 30 ml at room temp, a teaspoon of bicarb nearly completely dissolves in 30 ml. so what could it be? maybe impurities? just a plain old white powder, you couldn't tell it from bicarb or carbonate by looking.

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by 497]
Antwain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Supersaturated

[*] posted on 13-10-2007 at 09:57

You should also be aware that sodium aluminate is rather easily hydrolysed. Hence diluting a solution of it will result in the precipitation of hydrated aluminum hydroxide.
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2007 at 10:04

well i have never heard that. interesting...
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2007 at 13:32

could it be that my mystery white powder is Al(OH)3? it is insoluble at room temp as far as i can tell. 30 ml of water with a teaspoon of it reads a pH of about 10.5. pH of a teaspoon of carbonate in 30 ml is 11.5 and a teaspoon of bicarb is 9.5.

[Edited on 13-10-2007 by 497]
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2007 at 15:01

i have managed to acquire the balance, the good news is it can weigh up to 12 kg.. bad news is it has 1 g resolution :(. but it'll do.

so what should my molar ratios be? i was thinking .5m Al, but how much Na2CO3, since its not just simple Al to Al(OH)3? well i suppose i will just have to try something.
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 14-10-2007 at 16:03

flame test will distinguish between sodium aluminate and aluminum hydroxide.

Chemkid

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top