Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dust Control?
David1205754
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-10-2007 at 18:53
Dust Control?

We have the shipping materials, and which the particle size is around 200 mesh to 1/2 inch. There is one issue of the dust coming out as customers receive the materials. Therefore, we need to add some mineral oil inside the material to decrease the dust coming out. I would like to ask what kind of lab testing procedures I need to develop before we do the pilot run. Thanks a lot!!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 15-10-2007 at 19:35

Are you talking about something like Vermiculite or Hazorb? What exactly do you need to test for? Mineral oil is going to make things unctuous, discolor labels, grease up boxes, etc. There are likely better ways of going about this. What made you choose mineral oil for this anyway?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
David1205754
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-10-2007 at 21:45

Our product is drying product by high-temperature drying cyclone.
I think this is our standard method from our mother company due to our product needs to be shipped out to our customers, and who also request the free of dust as unload from container. But right now my question is we just added by visual inspection or based on our experience. Whether there is an efficient way to find the adding quantities of mineral oils or control method, let us do dust control accurately and cost reduction.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-10-2007 at 22:29

I just deleted my first reply. Please try to give us some more information. I realize this isn't your language but make another effort. Is it packing material your having to address? and if so, what is the nature of it? it makes dust? why? what is the parent material? It's really hard to offer help without clear and complete data.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 15-10-2007 at 22:55

Is this guy talking about silica gel?

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 04:58

Sounds like it.

David - tell us what the product / powder is.
David1205754
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 06:32

Sorry!! Our product is concentrated metal materials which is coming from PCB or electronics customers. The raw materials were, we called, sludge of metal waste. There are lots of valuable metals inside and we use specific drying operation to process those sludge to become the concentrated metal products. General speaking, our business is relative to mining field. So our final product is kind of like powder but it will depends on the raw materials and the solids contents control of the final drying process. The higher solid contents will have the dust issue and the lower has the prices issue.
I hope my explanation is clear.
Thanks All!!
Antwain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Supersaturated

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 07:52

So you want to add the oil TO your product? That is, mix up your product with oil and stick it in jars so that it is not dusty?

It depends on what people are buying it for, but are you sure people will want to buy it with mineral oil in it? That stuff can be hard to remove sometimes. Also, are you selling metals or metal compounds (salts)?
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 08:47

Why not add just water or if water is too corrosive then some organic solvent like toluene (which can be easily evaporated).

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 12:10

Sounds like a fairly toxic cocktail, I can't imagine adding a little mineral oil (or vegetable oil, if you want to be more environmentally friendly) is going to have much effect on the end user. Presumably the material is headed for a furnace and/or combined acid treatment anyway! Farmers around here spray old sump oil on dusty roads in summer to keep down dust, no one seems to mind.

Regards, Xenoid
David1205754
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 18:17

I think adding mineral oils or oils into our product to do dust control. It is very common way in road and mining business. But I try to find the science way to develop one testing method to get the efficient formula to adding mineral oils. Based on my experiences, you always add too many or less than real situation. Does anyone have better idea or technology to decrease the dust as my product coming out from the dryer and unloading from container in customer site? the solid contents are around 60 to 65%. Thanks again!!!
Xenoid
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 19:33
Gorilla-Snot

Looks like you need some gorilla snot....:o

No, seriously, check out the following web pages, they are all the same company:

http://www.gorilla-snot.com/
http://www.powderedsoiltac.com/
http://www.soiltac.com/
http://www.durasoil.com/

They have information on different uses, and application rates, very informative!
Try Google (dust, reduction, control)

Regards, Xenoid

[Edited on 16-10-2007 by Xenoid]
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 21:18

But those are all for soil stabilization. I like the volatile solvent idea. How about one with a really high LEL but moderate boiling range? I don't know what it would be but it could be looked up, surely, without too much trouble.
Xenoid
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 21:38

Well, yes, they are mainly for dust control on roads, etc. and also tailings and stockpiles. For the problem described in this thread, they could be used in their most dilute form, it's essentially the same problem. The material is an environmentally friendly polymer and they even supply a sample bottle so you can try it out.

Regards, Xenoid
David1205754
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 22:25

I just checked the website and it still could not solve my issue. I would like to explain that mineral oil adding could decrease the dust due to his viscosity. Meanwhile, it also will increase our solid contents. Sometimes, we will combine water and oils together to add by sprayer. As you know, the mineral oil price is higher and higher due to the oil price increases. The second issue is the dust control as our customers receives the materials on unloading from container.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 12:10

Go To Top