Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: iodine bottle issue
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 21:24
iodine bottle issue

I've had this bottle of I2 for a couple of years. The bottle is getting stickey and the label is getting discolored. My fingers get stained when I open it. I opened it about 20 months ago and have used it several times since. This just started happening. Can't think of why. Any ideas come to mind?

[Edited on 16-10-2007 by chemrox]
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 21:43

There is a thread on iodine storage and associated problems here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3869&a...

Regards, Xenoid

[Edited on 16-10-2007 by Xenoid]
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-10-2007 at 17:13

Heh. Halogens are the absolute worst elements to store. The buggers will eat through just about ANYTHING you put them in. I've found that the ONLY way to store them without any amount at all escaping is to seal them in a thick walled glass ampoule and then surrounding that ampoule in a solid resin. Of course, that doesn't work with Fluorine as nothing works with Fluorine. :D

I had bromine stored in a glass vial for a VERY short while before it ate through the Teflon coated cap and corroded everything. I then went and had my Br2 sealed in a glass ampoule, but over the course of a year it ate through the glass and weakened it. Finally, about two years ago, I had it sealed in a thicker glass ampoule and then put inside an acrylic resin block with my other halogens. Not one molecule has leaked out.

For Iodine, I still use my I2 crystals fairly regularly, so I haven't fully sealed ALL of my I2 away. I just have it in an amber bottle with a Teflon lid, placed inside a metal can which is then placed inside a larger metal can with a mixture of vermiculite and sodium thiosulfate infused vermiculite in there to react with any I2 that does escape. Still, the metal cans are being corroded as time goes by.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
johnm213
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-10-2007 at 15:21

"
For Iodine, I still use my I2 crystals fairly regularly, so I haven't fully sealed ALL of my I2 away. I just have it in an amber bottle with a Teflon lid, placed inside a metal can which is then placed inside a larger metal can with a mixture of vermiculite and sodium thiosulfate infused vermiculite in there to react with any I2 that does escape. Still, the metal cans are being corroded as time goes by. "

The vermiculite/ thiosulfate is a good idea. Stops gaseous iodine from building up to any signifigant level
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-10-2007 at 21:53

Br2 ate through a teflon cap? Mine came in a bottle. Also when I bought some years ago. I was going to make some Grignard and put it away. Sheeeit! I like the vermiculite too. What about the Br container??

Go To Top