Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purifying zinc dust
Antwain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Supersaturated

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 18:40
Purifying zinc dust

I recently acquired some zinc dust, but dust it is not.

Most of it is solid and there are a few small free clumps at the top, but I am convinced from the colour that it is mostly zinc. Firstly, is this normal? The zinc dust at uni is dust, but unlike this it is not probably 20 years old. Secondly is there some way to clean it?

I was thinking that ethanol would complex with zinc oxide/hydroxide without reacting rapidly with the metal (at low temperature). Then decanting the ethanol and rapidly drying would fix things...?

Will this work and is this worth doing?
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 19:01

Wash a small amount (accurately weight it if you can) with ether, or an ester like EtAc, or dry acetone if you don't have those. Let the wash evaporate in a test tube to see if there is any organic type contamination.

Next extract that washed zinc powder with a little cold water, and test the washing for halides and sulfates (AgNO3 and BaCl2 solutions).

Finally dissolve the sample in some HCl or H2SO4 in such a fashion that you can capture and measure all the gas given off. That gas, taken as H2, along with the starting weight should give you a good idea as to the percentage of metallic zinc remaining. You could do a bit better by measuring the gas, then absorbing any CO2 with NaOH solution, leaving just H2.

If there's no organic crude and no soluble salts then it's likely OK. Zinc dust always has a fair amount of oxide in it, and there's no simple way to remove it - if it's not soluble in water it's likely not to dissolve in EtOH. So long as the percentage of metallic zinc is known, and it's not too low, it should be usable.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 23:26

I would simply dry it above a heat radiator for a few hours and then repackage it. If necessary, grind it to powder again. First try this with a small amount (1 gram or so) in a petri dish to see what happens. Some zinc powders are pyrophoric and you don't want a big amount to ignite accidently.

I also have more than 20 years old zinc powder, and it still is a perfectly free flowing powder. Apparently your material was not stored properly.

[Edited on 2-11-07 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 19:54

I used to use this as rocket fuel. The mix, Zn & S would get "stale" and be highly unstable. Take precautions as my friend woelen advises.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 21:11

I think it may just be wet. I have encountered both types of zinc before, the powder and the lumpy stuff. I would follow what woelen suggested.
Or if you want ultrapure zinc:
"The zinc is purified by stirring 1.2 kg. of commercial zinc dust with 3 l. of 2% hydrochloric acid for 1 minute. The acid is removed by filtration, and the zinc is washed in a 4-l. beaker with one 3-l. portion of 2% hydrochloric acid, three 3-l. portions of distilled water, two 2-l. portions of 95% ethanol, and finally with one 2-l. portion of absolute ether, the wash solutions being removed each time by filtration. Then the material is thoroughly dried and any lumps are broken up in a mortar."
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/pdfs/CV3P0073.pdf(in the notes section)

Go To Top