Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Alternatives to aqua regia?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 20:54
Alternatives to aqua regia?

(Fleaker: this is of course nothing against you, just experimental, well maybe a little as insurance if your PtCl6 doesn't come. :P )

I have (had) one catalytic converter. It came from a 1980s Nissan, so probably isn't too bad. My understanding is most, if not all, converters are built on a cordierite (magnesium aluminosilicate, a reasonable refractory and insulator, very thermally stable) honeycomb substrate, with a coating of porous alumina bonding colloidial PGMs to it.

Last week, I busted the honeycomb out of the casing and ground up about half of it. For the last week, I've had it soaking in ~30% H2SO4, presuming to dissolve the Al2O3 which the PGMs are trapped in. Little seems to have been done, as a fragment of unbroken honeycomb that's been soaking still supports flameless ignition when preheated and given a propane-air mixture.

Even if the Al2O3 hasn't dissolved, I still have to find a way to get the PGMs out of the remaining cordierite. I don't have any nitric acid to make aqua regia, so it occurred to me I might make a solution of chloric acid instead. So, I took a sample of the crud off the filter and added 31% HCl cut about half with water, which appeared to react somewhat, raising the temperature about 10 degrees. I then boiled the suspension for about 10 minutes, adding single crystals of NaClO3 until reaction stopped. The addition of a crystal caused immediate release of green gas, which smelled of chlorine rather than chlorine dioxide. Even so, I kept the flask out of my line of sight until it dissolved. Swirling the flask appeared to absorb the gas from the airspace in the flask well enough.

Now that the solution is cooling and has settled, I see it is sort of green-orange-reddish, which I would associate with chloroferrate(III) ions. Question: how much Fe2O3 is in a typical catalytic converter ceramic oxide analysis?

I wasn't expecting to see much PGM in here (there's what, a few grams in total in the *entire* unit?), but there should still be enough to electrowin a thin coating from this solution -- if any has dissolved.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 21:50

Maybe try muriatic acid plus ammonium nitrate .
Some added urea might help .

This might help you pass the time while it is dissolving ,
pondering the physics involved here .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqUUPMT6Gc
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 21:55

The platinum and palladium chlorides are dark red-brown in colour.

SFAIK there's no intentional iron in the catalytic converters, just incidental in the ceramic raw materials, that which gets picked up in the processing of the ceramics, and any acquired by erosion and corrosion of the engine and exhaust system.

Bubbling chlorine into water containing the suspended metals will dissolve them, as will generating chlorine by some chemical reaction. Alternatively a nitrate salt can be added to aqueous HCl to make aqua regia.

I doubt that 30% H2SO4 at near room temperature will do much to the cordierite or alumina. However as the metals are deposited on the surface of the ceramics there should be much problem removing the metals. The acid soak may have removed some of the iron contamination picked up during operation of the engine.

The mixed alkali chlorides or the platinum metals have fairly low solubility, ammonium chloride is used to precipitate some of the group in various processes. This might be the best way to isolate the platinum group from other stuff in solution. Alternatively a reducing agent could be used to convert them to the free metals.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 06:49

30% sulfuric acid isn't going to do squat to either annealed alumina or platinum.

Try H2O2 and HCl.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 12:36

Don't have anything better than 3% H2O2.

Surely a few bits of chlorate does as well?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Dr. Beaker
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shaken, not stirred

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 13:15

If you have access to mercury you can try extracting these metals as amalgams.
no need to say that precautions should be take to avoid mercury intoxication
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 13:31

NaNO3 + HCl.

Ammonium ion is probably not a good choice for this mix.

[Edited on 11-10-2007 by Eclectic]
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 14:03

Don't bother with mercury, it won't work with platinum.

I'm surprised you didn't just ask me about this privately.

You don't want ammonium cation in it just yet.

You can make a cheap aqua regia with an alkali nitrate and concentrated hydrochloric acid.

Hot hydrochloric and sulfuric acids will dissolve away the substrate material. You won't get much Pt, not enough to be worth your time.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 14:14

NaCN under heat and pressure is whats needed.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 17:26

The only nitrate I have is about 100g Ba(NO3)2. This thead isn't about making aqua regia per se: read the subject.

Tim

Eclectic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 18:47

12AX7, do you have a picture of the core support ceramic? Would it be useful for technochemistry applications?
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 18:58

It could be. I don't have a picture, but it's not hard to describe: it is a grid pattern (square, not honeycomb per se), 0.1mm thick walls and 1mm spacing (so I've heard; I haven't measured it). This grid is extruded in a very straight prism, and the ends (as manufactured) are quite flat.

If nothing else, I can take the leftover ground up crud, mix with some clay and make firebricks.

Tim

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 20:05

I did say that most ways of generating chlorine in the solution will work, it's just that aqua regia works and is well documented; nitrate salt + HCl is satisfactory because the goal is to isolate the precious metals rather than performing a full analysis of the material.

So anything that makes chlorine, or is a strong enough oxidiser and there is a source of chloride ions, will work. Making chloric acid just seems a bit risky, although you did it in a conservative fashion that should be OK. But you're still potentially have some HClO3 around, which would bother me.

An alternative uses bromide and oxidisers, including bromine itself. See the attached patent.

Attachment: US5304359A1.pdf (411kB)
This file has been downloaded 915 times

Eclectic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 20:11

Re. Core Material: So you could cut plugs with a diamond grit core drill and use it as catalyst carrier in a tube furnace? Or is the orientation wrong? Harbor Freight has some small diamond core drills really cheap this month.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 22:40

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture

Try H2O2 and HCl.

Tell me about H2O2 and HCl. I tried this as a glass cleaner because I'd read aabout it here. It released some chlorine right away, started bubbling and got very hot in the next few minutes. The fumes were choking and I vacated the area after getting the stuff under my (somehwhat inadequate) hood.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 23:58

What proportions did you mix them in? An excess of HCl would reduce the newly formed HOCl and outgas chlorine.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 01:00

As far as chloric acid goes: on addition of NaClO3, there was some ClO2 apparent, but over time, it decomposed to several more Cl2's.

The container, with lid, was opened a few hours after addition, revealing a heavy blanket of green gas which could literally be "poured" out of the container. Yeah, I think there's just a little chlorine in the mix! The stifling smell was exclusively chlorine, no obvious ClO2 present.

So as long as there's something like elemental chlorine in solution, stuff like platinum is going to get into solution?

Tim

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 02:15

Quote:

Tell me about H2O2 and HCl. I tried this as a glass cleaner because I'd read aabout it here. It released some chlorine right away, started bubbling and got very hot in the next few minutes. The fumes were choking and I vacated the area after getting the stuff under my (somehwhat inadequate) hood.

Duh! That's the fracking point of the mixture! If you got improper safety measures in place, don't blame the method, blame yourself.

Quote:

So as long as there's something like elemental chlorine in solution, stuff like platinum is going to get into solution?

Well, you need something that's strong enough to oxidize the palladium and something to complex it. That's why aqua regia works, NOCl oxidizes and Cl- works as a ligand.

[Edited on 11-11-2007 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 02:19

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Well, you need something that's strong enough to oxidize the palladium and something to complex it. That's why aqua regia works, NOCl oxidizes and Cl- works as a ligand.

(And platinum, and whatever else is in there...)

So the question is, how does NOCl compare to Cl2?

Tim

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 02:39

From what I could gather, palladium metal is attacked by the following:

Conc. HNO3, Aqua Regia, HCl/Cl2, HCl/Br2, HBr/Br2, NaOCl solution, KCN solution, Br and Cl2.

Pt is more resistant it seems. It withstands most acids (including oxidizing ones) up to 100C. HBr, H2O2 (30%), HI and conc. HNO3 get the job done at 100C. From 400C onwards your options expand rapidly: H3PO4, MgCl2, Ba(NO3)2, KOH/K2S, Na2O2, NaOH, NaCN, KOH, KNO3/NaOH, KCN.

Only aqua regia and the halogens (except I2) get the job done at R.T.

Note that this gives you the option to selectively extract the palladium. Saves you cumbersome separations along the road.

[Edited on 11-11-2007 by vulture]

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 09:55

Problem with that method is that the platinum might shield some of the palladium from being dissolved, and/or the pallidium that does dissolve might take a bit of platinum with it.

I think that at the stage of getting it off the support it would be better to strip all the PGM off, then convert to the metals or very low solubility compounds and work with those much smaller volumes.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 18:47

Well, the trial sample I boiled in the flask: I electrolysed it overnight, obtaining a small amount of flaky metallic deposit on the cathode. The solution color still resembles ferric ions.

I am filtering and rinsing the rest of the material which was similarly chlorinated (at room temperature). Pew, doing it outside I might add...

Meanwhile, the remaining K2PtCl6 solution left over from plating those titanium strips (mentioned elsewhere) has been evaporating. I noticed the other day some small golden crystals on the bottom. Man, that stuff is low solubility. It's probably no trouble at all to evaporate this extract and see what precipitates, given some potassium ion of course. Any impurity, like FeCl3, is so much more soluble that I should get all the Pt and stuff out before it crystallizes.

MgCl2 sounds intriguing. How is that? Does it decompose and attack Pt? What oxidizes the Pt then, atmosphere? I happen to have made some MgCl2 hydrate (crystallized and not clumping!!), and as you know, I am not opposed to treating things with fire...

For that matter, fusion with NaOH would work, except that the substrate would gooify, eh?

Tim

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 19:01

Magnesium chloride hydrate will lose HCl long before you reach 400 C. Also most of the listed reagents are pretty aggressive towards most materials you'd use for containers at the reaction temperatures. I suspect that you'll end up attaching the support ceramic as well, resulting in a lot of other junk in the solution or forming a precipitate that absorbs some of the compounds you want to reclaim.
Siddy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 02:09

Why not make the nitric acid, if you REALLY cant buy it (photography store), out of sodium nitrate.

Something i really want to know, can old catalytic converters be used for this kind of platinum etc extraction? Wont a lot of the other metals dissolve with the plat. Is there some easy purification i havent heard of?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 06:21

The patent I attached specifically gives the recovery of platinum group metals from catalytic converters as an example of applications of the H2SO4/Br2/Br- dissolution method.

The PGM bearing ceramic material is removed from the metal casing and crushed before extracting the PGM, the only non-platinum-group-metals are going to be any that were part of the catalyst - generally none - and those picked up from wear and corrosion in the engine - meaning mostly a small amount of iron. Chemical reduction can easily separate PGM from iron and other base metal compounds, giving a simple and quick concentration of them.

I think that 12AX7 has little nitrate on hand, but ready access to chlorate, thus the question about alternatives to aqua regia. There's no need to go to the trouble of making nitric acid to make aqua regia for this type of application, adding a nitrate salt to hydrochloric acid works just fine and eliminates the need for distillation.

12AX7 used chlorate and HCl to make free chlorine in a strong concentration of chloride ions, that mix dissolves the PGM as chloride complexes just as aqua regia does.

Alternatively the chlorate could be added to a sulfuric acid solution of bromide to generate Br2 for that other method, small amounts of free chlorine aren't going to hurt and it avoids high concentration of salts in the extraction liquid.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top