Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ester byproducts of fermentation..
stygian
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2007 at 19:45
Ester byproducts of fermentation..

Aside from the obvious ethanol, which can be used as motor fuel (or drunk), how much of other alcohols and esters are produced in comparison to ethanol alone? I know that the fermentation substrate and strain of yeast could vary by a lot. Could the whole mix of esters and alcohols (e.g. methyl, isopropyl, butyl, whatever..) be more economical, or benificial in some way?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-11-2007 at 21:19

n-Butanol can be made by fermentation of corn. I understand that it is an excellent automobile fuel and superior in energy/lb to ethanol. There is a fair amount of university research being devoted to developing the process to be competitive. University of Illinois at Urbana, IIRC.

I gave some thought to making n-butanol by this route as a home project. The proper bacteria are available cheaply. The trouble is that they require anaerobic conditions.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2007 at 21:23

There are very small amounts of esters produced, under the conditions the yeast (or bacteria) live in ester are 'uphill' energetically and thus take energy away from the organism. Esters of longer chain fatty acids - oils and fats - are used as energy storage by many organisms.

You will find plenty on the acetone-butanol fermentation, it was used back are WW-I on into the `20s. Isopropanol can also be had, all of these are bacterial fermentations.

Lactic acid is another fermentation product, bacteria have been the method but I believe there are now strains of acid tolerant yeast that can be used. Citric acid is another industrial fermentation product.
Intergalactic_Captain
Hazard to Others

Mood: frabjous

[*] posted on 20-11-2007 at 07:13

Did a little looking into the ABE process as well. Anaerobic conditions would be easy enough, it's the limitations of the bacterium that put me off. Clostridium Acetobutilicum (and a few other clostridium) only "ferment" out to ~8% total solvent volume, of which butanol is somewhere around a third. Back before the extensive production of crude-oil derived chemicals, it was economical enough to sell/use the acetone and ethanol to make this a viable process for n-butanol production...Just not economical enough anymore to dump money into research.

Except for BP, they're apparently doing some research on bio-butanol. It has roughly the same octane rating as gasoline, easily lending itself to replace the currently used fuel without engine modification or energy-density related issues. Sorry I don't have any ref's, it's been a while since I looked into this. Google the ABE process or butanol fermentation...Bacterium cultures can be bought from Carolina Biological Supply for around $8/tube.

Personally, if I were going about turning raw biomass into fuel, I'd look into cellulosic ethanol. The enzymes availible currently are hellishly expensive, though...Perhaps one could breed the hell out of a sample of some cellulase producing organism and use it for this purpose - Anyone know of any wild bacteria that could be "captured"?

If you see me running, try to keep up.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 20-11-2007 at 11:12

IIRC making higher alcohols by fermentation STINKS (literally).

Methanol is only produced if woody material is present in the mash. And then it is produced in small amounts.

In ethanol fermentation, over-aeration of the mash produces acetic acid and that reacts with ethanol to give ethyl acetate. Normally this is a minor congener. Aeration is only done in the yeast lag phase; continuing aeration will give only acetic acid. Ethanol fermentation is anaerobic, but normally a simple air lock (bubbler) suffices as the vast amount of CO2 produced keep internal pressure positive.

2-propanol is manufactured by fermentation I believe.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 20-11-2007 at 21:58

2-propanol and cyclopentanone .. there was a Brittish chemist making ketones and alcohols by the carload in WWII. Forget who that was but the story can be tracked down with a little effort..@Sauron, jump in here if I'm wrong but I think some of the higer alcohols can be made by fermentation under aerobic conditions.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
triggernum5
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2008 at 17:41

In theory would yeast be just as, or nearly as happy taking oxygen from more obscure componds, perhaps even inorganic in an otherwise anaerobic solution? Could it liberate it, even if it dies in the process? I guess there is oxygen in the water itself though, so its presence probably answers the question. Basically I'm wondering how yeast O2 uptake works from a balanced equation POV.. Not the solution side eqn, but how the yeast grabs the oxygen.. Or failing that, a general idea of the molecular properties/limits required to constitute a sugars/pectins substitute..
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2008 at 22:40

Industrial fermentation of a multitude of organic products is nothing new, it has been around for a long time, and is of considerable importance. There are entire volumes on the subject, and naturally you can find a lot in works such as Ullmann's and Kirk-Othmer, q.v.

About the use of yeast with inorganic substrates I have no idea.

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2008 at 23:10

Quote:
Originally posted by triggernum5
In theory would yeast be just as, or nearly as happy taking oxygen from more obscure componds, perhaps even inorganic in an otherwise anaerobic solution? ...

The yeast isn't just "grabbing the oxygen from compounds" It must utilise ones that it has enzymes to handle, on pathways that lead to net overall energy production. It seems to be limited to a fairly snall number of organics.

There are bacteria that do well with nitrate or sulfate as their oxygen source. Some can reduce Fe(III), Mn(IV), and other such ions. Some fungi apparently can reduce Fe(III) and nitrate.

http://biochemie.web.med.uni-muenchen.de/Yeast_Biol/03%20Yea...

http://www.yeastgenome.org/biocyc/

http://www.gwu.edu/~mpb/biochemterms.htm
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2008 at 23:56

One of my former associates is an environmental microbiologist and his specialty is isolating and culturing bacteria that can be employed in remediation of various sorts of waste problems, from restaurant grease traps to oil spills to whatever. Basically he surveys for naturally occuring bacteria in the locale of the pill that have mutated to consume whatever was spilled. No genetic engineering involved, except by nature. Once he has spotted the bug he wants, he then isolates it and makes a lot of it, and applies it to the spill.

I have read patents where desired modifications were induced with mutagens like MNNG. The mutagen just induces mutations randomly, the technicians then look for the one they want to appear.

triggernum5
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 11:55

I actually was aware of the plethora of bacterial fermentaions etc (well, not the inorganic ones, so thanks for that).. Its just that obviously even Sac. Cerviseae can metabolize many diferent molecules.. After I posted that I realized it must be enymatic, but thats a whole 'complex' realm that I have no background in as biology was the one science I pretty much skipped in school.. I actually wasn't aware that the yeast contained so many specific enymes as n_i mentioned.. I guess a good starting gate would be the carb busting A-amylase reaction sinve I have seen info on that alot.. At this point, I just hope somebody can elude to the practical/theoretical scope of enzymes in common yeasts..
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top