Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hazards associated with open hot paraffin liquid bath
feacetech
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-11-2007 at 14:40
Hazards associated with open hot paraffin liquid bath

I have a hot paraffin liquid bath heated to at least 105 up to 115C. The goal is 105 but the bath plays up, over heats sometimes forcing it to smoke. Now this stuff stinks its fills the lab and saturates my clothes, apart from the explosive risk (has been like this for a number of years before I was even in the lab on 24/7) is the a health risk to my lungs i.e emphysema etc

[Edited on 27-11-2007 by feacetech]
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 22-11-2007 at 22:26

Dude, get yourself some heavy mineral oil laxative.

The shiznit is good for 200+ÂșC before it even starts to smoke.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
feacetech
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-11-2007 at 11:09

Na im going to get rid of it all together just tryn to get some ammo, im after a temperature probe controled hot plate magnetic strrer.

kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2007 at 11:54

If you pour hot/boiling wax in water it will ignite and blow flames all over!

so... i think even dripping some water in it could be very hazardous.

Be careful
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 24-11-2007 at 06:45

Learn to spell and use grammar BEFORE posting please.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 24-11-2007 at 10:08

I think English is his second language, vulture.

And, oh my god I would love so much to have a temperature probe controlled hotplate. No more constant adjusting of the temp to compensate for evaporation and different liquids/amounts. I wonder what one would cost on the low end. Time to find out.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 24-11-2007 at 12:34

Yes MagicJigPipe, those are like a Glas-col mantle minder. Every once in awhile you'll find one on eBay for $100 or so.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 24-11-2007 at 13:21

Yeah I know, someone outbid me on the last one.. lost it to a bid of $62. Still kicking myself in the ass over it!

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 24-11-2007 at 14:09

I wouldn't think that it would be a major health risk, I mean, it's not as hot as a burning candle and those are a constant source of liquid paraffin. They also create a lot of smoke and the only real health hazard I have heard of those is that some manufactuers use lead in the wick.

As for temperature control, check out a J-Kem, those things are awesome, they hold at plus or minus a degree in my experience, they learn and will keep your bath where you want it (though constantly adding or taking away from your bath can mess them up but not by too much).

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 24-11-2007 at 14:31

I have had a parafin wax bath bath spill on me before. It spilled onto the hotplate and was boiling into a cloud of parafin vapour. I inhaled some of this, and the only effect was my throat feeling weird(I imagine just from condensed wax vapour) for a day or so.

I also had the pleasure of spilling several ml of water into a parafin oil bath at ~120C at one point. No explosions, just loud cracking and bubbling comimg from the parafin bath.
Nearly shat myself at the loud cracking sounds, as I did not know yet that I had added water accidently, and the bath was being used for making guanidine nitrate from molten ammonium nitrate and calcium cyanamide.:o

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 24-11-2007 at 22:19

Seems like there cheapest temp regulator is nearly 600 bucks... I can dream though. Guess I'll have to start selling crack.

that was a joke, btw...

[Edited on 25-11-2007 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
feacetech
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-11-2007 at 13:04

The heating bath at the moment is quite large; it holds about 7.5L of paraffin liquid density 0.87-0.89 g/mL (not melted paraffin wax).

There are some relatively cheap units (stirrer plus thermoregulator combo) from VELP Scientifica that I am looking at, my chem supplier has them on Christmas special.

On closer inspection I almost got had. The units that look cheap in the leaflet I got from my supplier are not what they appear in the picture. They have a picture of a AREC.X with a thermoregulator. But the units they have on special are the AREC and the ARE with no thermoregulator the description makes it sound like it has aswell. upto 1200rpm temperature regulation from room to 370C for only $595. temperature regulation being the dial. Bastards they got my hopes up.

So maybe heavy mineral oil wont be to bad any other oil suggestions, the stupid thing is I use it to heat up tallow.

bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-11-2007 at 18:24

Hard hydrogenated cooking oil will not smoke at 200 degrees and has some advantages over a hot plate
(more even heat).

Go To Top