Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Potassium Tartrate Mystery
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 22-12-2007 at 10:09
Sodium Potassium Tartrate Mystery

I was making sodium potassium tartrate from pottasium bitartrate and sodium carbonate. I dissolved both in water and they reacted to form CO2. I spent about an hour evaporating away the water with an alcohol burner. Then, not having time to continue the reaction, i stopped. I expected crstallization to perhaps occur over the few days i left it. It didnt. Today, when i picked the beaker there was a clear liquid. I didn't check if it was congealed or not. Then, using a hotplate i continued to boil it down, expecting a crystal precipitant.

The solution boiled and after a while i turned down the heat. Then it bubbled like it was much more viscous. Slow, large bubbles. The vapors began to smell sweet. Is this characteristic of sodium potassium tartrate? It didn't exactly crystallize, just kind of congealed.

Perhaps i boiled away all the solvent and it hasn't crystallized yet. Perhaps it was super saturated. Perhaps my reagents were impure? I don't know. Information would be appreciated though.

Chemkid

[Edited on 22-12-2007 by chemkid]

YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 22-12-2007 at 10:13

Rochelle salt is soln is Very viscous, if you heat further, the tiniest nucleation site will turn the whole lot into compact "Snow" within minutes when it`s cold :)

ideally to need to take a small amount of this and dry it in a Warm place (not Hot just warm) and then keep a few of these crystals as Seeds.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
chemkid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2007 at 10:20

A few minutes later it has cooled and is now firmly stuck in my beaker. It is water soluble so at least my beakers safe ;). Could i perhaps dissolve the whole lot back into water the crystallize it in the freezer? Would that keep it from sticking to my beaker again. There is no hope of scraping it out of the beaker w/o shattering it.

chemkid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2007 at 10:40

Mystery solved. It seems to have worked just fine. I got a little excited when it didn't go just exactly as i thought it would. This thread is stupid and can probably be deleted. Anyone who tries this out, do it in an evaporating dish or a likewise sturdy vessel to scrap the crystals out. Or you can do it as YT suggested and precipitate them.

And yes it should smell like sugar when your heating it.

Chemkid

YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2007 at 10:51

LOL, so you know what I mean by Compact "Snow" :D

you Can add a little more water to this and heat it gently again stirring well as it starts to liquify, but keep a few scrapes of this crystaline mass back before you do this as Seed crystals :)

you can grow Fantastically large a beautiful crystals with this material!

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 22-12-2007 at 13:23

How can you obtain potassium sodium tartrate from 2 substances that contain no potassium?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
chemkid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2007 at 13:45

Damn good question. That would be potassium bitartrate

Chemkid

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2007 at 17:22

Two words - water bath, or steam bath might be a bit better. Evaporating to dryness, when the goal is just to crystallise from solution, and overheating the product once the water is gone both seem to be not-uncommon errors of amateur research.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-12-2007 at 01:41

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
How can you obtain potassium sodium tartrate from 2 substances that contain no potassium?

you can`t, but as mentioned in the OP the One substance already had one of the replaceable hydrogens taken up with a Potassium ion, tartaric acid is Dibasic (like sulphuric) so it has a -2 charge, cream of Tartar has one free Hydrogen left, so the the Sodium takes that place.

think of KHSO4, it`s still acidic and works a little like a Monobasic acid.

I`m sure someone will be able to explain it little better than myself a bit later :)

Go To Top