Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Site of nucleophilic addition?
sonogashira
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 09:32
Site of nucleophilic addition?

Say I had

R-C-CO2Me
.... ||
.... NCl

and I wanted to make

.... Et
.... |
R-C-CO2Me
.... |
.... NH2

Could this be achieved by reaction with EtMgBr, or would the presence of the Cl and ester groups prevent the reaction? Or perhaps more equivalents of the Grigard would be needed?

I want to avoid making the ketone though.

Hoping that someone can be of help:)

[Edited on 11-1-2008 by sonogashira]

[Edited on 11-1-2008 by sonogashira]
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 10:44

I have a limited knowledge of the mechanics of Grignard reactions but if I were to guess I would say you might have a problem. Go look under the Wikipedia article. It has some good information and and 2 pretty convienient flow charts.

From what I see it will add to alkyl halide. N-Cl, not sure. Seems to replace tertiary amine groups as well. Anyway, I'll shutup now and let some who knows what they're talking about answer you!

P.S. I would post the charts here but I got in trouble for posting stuff that certain people deem "standard knowledge". Now that I think about it, everything is standard knowledge to somebody.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
polychemist
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 11:13

I would like to say if you use Grignard reaction you will get a lot of byproduct because of the ester group as well as the Cl group. Maybe you can use some catalyst such as Pd or Cu, probably it will help.
However, the product you got is very simple, it is just a methyl ester of some kind of amino acid, so I believe you may make this compound via another route.

Water solubility?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 13:49

An addition of ethyl Grignard on a N-chloroimine?

No way would it give you the desired product with one equivalent EtMgBr. If you count the oxidation states of the starting compound and the product you can see the product is reduced. There would be many products formed but most likely none of the one you want.

The addition of ethyl Grignard on the imine could formally yield you the desired amino ester, but mind that esters also react with Grignards although more slowly. Also, the intermediate magnesium amide (present before quenching with NH4Cl) can condense with esters, especially with methyl esters, giving the appropriate amides (in your case piperazin-2,5-diones and similar amino acid dimers). Hence, even provided you could prepare the alpha-imino esters, you would have a difficult/messy reaction after the Grignard addition.
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 14:37

Ok, thanks a lot for the help.

I'll get better one day... I hope!
maniacscientist
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-1-2008 at 13:41

W(C)ouldnĀ“t Grignard yield the oxime? then maybe a mild reduction of this to the amine?

Go To Top