Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: real problem pouring acids.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 05:19

Another nice trick is to tape a small test tube to the side of commonly used reagents/solvents that will hold a Pasteur pipette inside it. Then leave one in there such that it can be reused each time a few drops are needed. This only works for chemicals that evaporate and don't go bad, but it is great for DCM, TLC solvents, etc that you need a small amount of often.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 11:10
Paper Towel Trick

When I pour dangerous things, I always do this:

I take a piece of paper towel, and fold it in half.
I then keep folding it in half the same way until I have a 12"x1" strip of paper towel.
I wrap it around the bottle above the label, but below the neck.
Pour the acid.
Check the towel for moisture. If it has acid on it, I wipe the side of the bottle.

It is a good trick. The only problem I can see is if you have trouble holding the bottle and paper towel in the same hand. It might be slippery! If that is a problem, tape the paper towel where the two ends meet, or put a rubber band around it (so you just have to worry about holding the bottle!).

Hope that helps!

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Pyro
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 09:38

Quote: Originally posted by Twospoons  
Why not keep a pipette specifically for each chemical you need to dispense? No contamination that way.

I always use a glass pipette, with a rubber squeeze bulb for my acid. No choice really - ever tried to pour a few ml from a 10 litre bottle of nitric?

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by Twospoons]

i buy all my acids in 5l containers, i just buy 1 litre bottles for a buck and a half each, and pour a litre into that bottle, its a lot easier to handle, especially with H2SO4 because its so heavy

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 10:06

Huh, I was very surprised so many of you had no idea about the glass rod thing. It's quite unbelieveable because that's essential for doing laboratory work. :o
We learned these things as kids in elementary schools, along with making round/fluted filter papers, using a cork borer and cutting glass tubing. It's in every elementary school chemistry textbook and repeats itself in highschool and college manuals.

Every lab I've ever worked in has like a ton of these rods lying around.

Of course, it doesn't work for mercury and works poorly for bromine, obviously because of their atomic/molecular structure. Water is very polar, so it sticks to the glass nicely.

Seriosuly, invest in a laboratory manual. Buy the actual book. Paper book, that's the one that is flammable. :D
It's a lot better than downloading it.
You can't do chemistry while being educated over the Internet. I own few manuals and I assure you, things you can find over the Google are less than 10% of the stuff you can learn from manuals.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top