Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: weird unpleasent smell.
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 05:33
weird unpleasent smell.

Today I did some experimenting with dichromate. I tried different reductors and different acids.
I did the following:
-1mL moderately concentrated sodium dichromate
-3mL 2M nitric acid
-3mL ethanol

The reaction proceeded slowly, somewhat slower than the reaction with sulphuric. I saw some , not much, very small bubbles coming out the reaction mixture. I concluded this couldnt be carbon dioxide: dichromate isnt able of oxidising ethanol to the 3rd step (1 being acetaldehyde and 2 being acetic acid).
So the only 2 gasssen that came into mind were acetaldehyde and nitrogen dioxide. Nitrogen dioxide is not detected at such low levels, acetaldehyde is said to smell fruity.
The smell I smelled was unpleasant, reminds me of when I was sick in the hot tropics of Dominicana Republic. Am I missing something or? What could this be? The smell really became noticable when I diluted the solution ....
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 08:08

Acetaldehyde has a bad smell. It reminds me of people being drunk with a smell of stale alcoholic beverages. Acetaldehyde to my opinion definitely does not smell 'fruity', unless you have a very peculiar notion of 'fruity' things :P.

It also is understandable why dilution makes the smell even more noticeable. Any other oxidation product (acetic acid) and the original smell of the ethanol almost disappear with dilution, while the smell of acetaldehyde remains (the boiling point of the latter is 20 C or so, and even from dilute solutions it escapes quite easily, while acetic acid and ethanol are bound to their solution much more when diluted).

Of course, if you used denatured alcolhol or spiritus for your experiment, then one cannot tell really much about this. The other ingredients may also become oxidized, but with unknown stuff one can get any smell.

The bubbles you observed also can be explained. With a concentrated solution of sodium dichromate you probably also noticed heatup of the solution. The reaction is fairly exothermic and if you have a concentrated solution of a dichromate and you reduce it at a fairly high speed (within tens of seconds), then it certainly heats up. Given the low boiling point of acetaldehyde, one can easily imagine formation of bubbles of gas.

[Edited on 10-2-08 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 08:38

The way you describe the smell, thats exactly how I ment it!
And my ethanol is no spiritus, its Fisher's '99% methylated spirit industrial'. The one you saw in the picture of my lab on the work bench.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 08:53

Methylated.... I wonder if there may also be Formaldehyde in there then, that stuff really DOES stink! :o

[Edited on 10-2-2008 by YT2095]

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 08:59

I once made some, using crappy ethanol (I distilled myself, described in the "solar still" thread, if you can find it), potassium dichromate and ~50% sulfuric acid. As the reaction was heated and turned from orange to green, I noted a smell that I assume was ethanal, smelling only remotely like apples. I think because of the bad source, I also smelled what I might describe as burnt matter (I forget now if it was more like seared protein or carbohydrate), which is probably due to yeasty residues (i.e. containing nitrogen) in the spirits.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top