Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Amines from alcohols??
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-2-2008 at 14:45

We did nucleophillic reactions last year but we didn't really cover why halogenoalkanes react with alcoholic alkali to give an alkene whereas a reaction with aqueous alkali gives an alcohol. And I'm doing a proper chemistry course, wouldnt touch biology with a 10 ft pole lol. But as I remember a tertiary alcohol would react with conc. HCl to give the respective chloroalkane? I'm pretty sure we did the reaction in class, using 2-methylpropan-2-ol
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 04:36

Quote:
Originally posted by DJF90
We did nucleophillic reactions last year but we didn't really cover why halogenoalkanes react with alcoholic alkali to give an alkene whereas a reaction with aqueous alkali gives an alcohol. And I'm doing a proper chemistry course, wouldnt touch biology with a 10 ft pole lol. But as I remember a tertiary alcohol would react with conc. HCl to give the respective chloroalkane? I'm pretty sure we did the reaction in class, using 2-methylpropan-2-ol

True with tri-aliphatic alcohol, but much less evident once an unsaturated C=C link is in direct viccinity of the C holding the OH group...benzylic/allylic position will favourise elimination
(C6H5)2C(OH)-CH3 --> (C6H5)2C=CH2 + H2O

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 11:19

Ah I thought the phenyl rings would mess things up a bit. Is there any way to make the reaction favour the substitution route? Possibly by controlling the equilibrium of the reaction (temp/conc/pressure?)? I'm not really sure about how substitution/elimination is favoured, guess its something I should read up on :P

[Edited on 25-2-2008 by DJF90]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top