Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Downloading References Without Fumbling Through "References"

MagicJigPipe - 7-4-2008 at 16:24

Is that possible? Like a central place to view all uploaded material?

solo - 7-4-2008 at 16:47

Most referenced articles can be found by the title or the author by using the search engine.....it´s no fumbling if you know what you´re looking through.....if you want to browse ...browse through the now closed wanted reference threads and the current #3 thread....I don't think there is a central place where you can see them all in a neat file or page.....but I guess we will have to wait for a response from someone that is in the know........solo

Sauron - 8-4-2008 at 00:24

And that assumes you have access to References at all.

If you do not the FSE will at best get you to a PW prompt.

Polverone - 8-4-2008 at 08:53

There's no way to automatically list all the uploaded references. I could modify my forum backup tool to grab all attachments from References and stick them in a single archive, but it would have to be protected to limit it to people with existing References access. Would that be useful? There is unfortunately no easy way to provide references hosted offsite (rapidshare etc.) in a backup, and no easy way to provide full author/title/publication information about attached documents.

MagicJigPipe - 8-4-2008 at 11:26

It would be useful to me. Even if I don't need a specific reference at the time I always grab it just in case I need it later and just in case something happens and it becomes permanantly unavailable.

This way, I could just download all references to my library and search for information that way. Or I could just pick out the references much easier from a single list.

I realize people downloading all the references at once would consume much bandwidth but I doubt everyone would do that. I could resist doing it if I was told not to but I could certainly utilize all of the references if I could download them in one fell swoop.

Sauron - 8-4-2008 at 11:50

There are three Wanted References thread and the Recent Journal Articles of Interest thread.

Just take the time to go through these four threads page by page and download the attachments you want. You won't want them all.

Once you have them locally on your HDD you can organize them anyway ypou like, and add to them as references accumulate.

MagicJigPipe - 8-4-2008 at 19:05

Thanks for the advice but that's what I've been doing. And you're right, I don't want them all. I just thought there might possibly be an easier way. Oh well, I suppose I will get back to it.

What's funny is I probably could have already been done by now.