Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Downloading References Without Fumbling Through "References"
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 16:24
Downloading References Without Fumbling Through "References"

Is that possible? Like a central place to view all uploaded material?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 16:47

Most referenced articles can be found by the title or the author by using the search engine.....it´s no fumbling if you know what you´re looking through.....if you want to browse ...browse through the now closed wanted reference threads and the current #3 thread....I don't think there is a central place where you can see them all in a neat file or page.....but I guess we will have to wait for a response from someone that is in the know........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 00:24

And that assumes you have access to References at all.

If you do not the FSE will at best get you to a PW prompt.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 08:53

There's no way to automatically list all the uploaded references. I could modify my forum backup tool to grab all attachments from References and stick them in a single archive, but it would have to be protected to limit it to people with existing References access. Would that be useful? There is unfortunately no easy way to provide references hosted offsite (rapidshare etc.) in a backup, and no easy way to provide full author/title/publication information about attached documents.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 11:26

It would be useful to me. Even if I don't need a specific reference at the time I always grab it just in case I need it later and just in case something happens and it becomes permanantly unavailable.

This way, I could just download all references to my library and search for information that way. Or I could just pick out the references much easier from a single list.

I realize people downloading all the references at once would consume much bandwidth but I doubt everyone would do that. I could resist doing it if I was told not to but I could certainly utilize all of the references if I could download them in one fell swoop.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 11:50

There are three Wanted References thread and the Recent Journal Articles of Interest thread.

Just take the time to go through these four threads page by page and download the attachments you want. You won't want them all.

Once you have them locally on your HDD you can organize them anyway ypou like, and add to them as references accumulate.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 19:05

Thanks for the advice but that's what I've been doing. And you're right, I don't want them all. I just thought there might possibly be an easier way. Oh well, I suppose I will get back to it.

What's funny is I probably could have already been done by now.

Go To Top