Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Fastest Acting Poisons

I am a fish - 22-1-2003 at 08:32

NB: I have absolutely no intention of making, acquiring or using any chemical weapons.

What substances are generally regarded as being the fastest acting poisons? I presume the speed of effect is highly dependent on the means of delivery (e.g. ingestion, inhalation), and on the quantity used.

(Google is absolutely useless; my searches were swamped by user guides for RPGs)

Chris

Mongo Blongo - 22-1-2003 at 18:35

Some that come to mind-
Hydrogen Cyanide
Hydrogen Azide
Strychnine
I know of many others but I just can't think right now.

inhalation poisons fastest

Polverone - 22-1-2003 at 22:51

Hydrogen cyanide and hydrogen sulfide will both rapidly cause unconsciosness, followed by death (in case of continuing exposure or non-treatment), if inhaled in high concentrations. I have read a few personal accounts of people exposed to high amounts of HCN as a result of lab mishaps. Search for Bill Penrose and cyanide on Usenet (Google Groups) if you want to read one such account. IIRC, he didn't even have time to finish his sentence before he fell unconscious after sniffing a beaker fizzing with HCN. I don't think it gets any faster than that.

Potassium chloride (or any soluble potassium salt, I would imagine) rapidly induces cardiac arrest after it's injected. It is used for executions by lethal injection.

Some fluorine containing organophosphorus compounds (i.e. nerve gases) work fairly rapidly - on the scale of minutes. I have a book around here on the compounds. In fact you could download it from Eliteforum's FTP site if it were up at the moment.

The following two pages have good information on the effects of nerve agents:

G-series agents
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic898.htm

V-series agents
http://www.emedicine.com/Emerg/topic899.htm

Spew of Death

Ramiel - 31-1-2003 at 21:49

...Moonmonster, are you reading mi?

did you see on usenet! the kid ate KCN and vomited it up... So if you ever want to assassinate someone, just walk up to them, eat your special subway footlong and make sure to get most of your courtesy barf over the target! fabulous.

on a more sinister note, one can buy lite-salt or so such which has large quantities of KCl. I would advise that this is probably the most dangerous, and the most safe (seeing as you can ingest it safely), if you see what I mean.

blithe hunting

Krypton - 18-2-2003 at 22:22

ha ha,
on in this world existing persons,
which can thinking fastest the second step
bevor the first, will be most artful poisoned of lousy mentally handicapped
elements !

a little question,

is it realy toxic to post particular -step`s
of bubble gum or HNCH ... ?

Iv4 - 5-6-2003 at 02:56

To my knowledge the fastest acting poisen is the venom of the amazon frog(I fogot it's name but I'll look it up later).Uniquely enough it's venom is one it's skin.The tribes thier rub thier (blowgun)darts over the frog.Shot anywhere on a monkey it can kill within 5 seconds.

Blind Angel - 5-6-2003 at 08:17

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/htx/htx.htm

The poison you're talking about

Madog - 9-6-2003 at 13:41

i got one of those cool "eye whitness" books whne i was younger, on spies, and it had a thing there called the "suicide pill" which was suposed to kill in 5 seconds if you swallowed it

it was never used in the field

Iv4 - 10-6-2003 at 02:21

I saw something like that on the discovery chanel.I think it was some sort of cyanide/nicotine mixture.

Blind Angel - 10-6-2003 at 12:15

i recently red on a MOTM page (Don't remember which) about a toxin secreted by a anemonae (or something like that) which grow in only one lake in an pacific island which was one of the best (worst) know to man, still looking for the ling

Darkfire - 10-6-2003 at 14:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Iv4
I saw something like that on the discovery chanel.I think it was some sort of cyanide/nicotine mixture.
Acutaly i think the pills were saxitoxin, or at least some of them were, at least the ones used by the CIA.

Blind Angel- Your thinking of Palytoxin, that comes from the one tidepool, the toxin used in the pill is saxitoxin it comes from certain plankton in red tides.

CTR

[Edited on 10-6-2003 by Darkfire]

Blind Angel - 10-6-2003 at 18:36

yeah it's that:

Palytoxin

for use non CIA...

Iv4 - 19-6-2003 at 00:45

The sea snail can dibilate an animal in extremely short period of time by using a two stage mechanism.First it puts an imense load on the nerve's and then stops them prety much.

I'm thinking methyl nitrate and atropine might have a similer effect.

For more information

jubrail - 27-7-2003 at 07:52

On natural poisons, I would highly suggest getting a book about Invertebrate biology. In particular, I would recommend Buchsbaum's book, which, I believe is called something like "Invertebrate Biology" (surprisingly enough:P). The book is interesting, with pictures and has a good amount of information. The two sections I would must suggest are that on coelenterates (I think that's the name, I studied this subject in Hebrew, not English), which is the jellyfish, anemones, corals and all other bearers of nematocysts (stinging cells). The other section would be the bibliography/suggested readings, which have numerous books and papers for more in depth study. The book is particularly good for non-English speakers as, though the words are jargon, the sentence structure is not as difficult as other books.

And no, I am not Buchsbaum, just liked the book.

Info in a nutshell!

Hermes_Trismegistus - 30-11-2003 at 23:29

Two Pages answering most common questions.

UP WITH SPOONFEEDING!

Attachment: Bioweapons and Defense.pdf (467kB)
This file has been downloaded 1950 times

ahlok2002 - 16-12-2003 at 10:39

the most dangerous bio-weapeon is though microbs infection. virus, bacterial, virion, prokaryote..........all this not only can attack target yet can infect and spread.

guaguanco - 17-12-2003 at 15:13

2 candidates:

1) a massive intravenous dose of phenobarbital supposedly stops the heart in 10 - 15 seconds.
2) SiO2. a large dose (~500 kg) dropped from 100 meters, causes death instantaneously

fastest acting poison

sam33 - 16-2-2004 at 00:36

i once heard from somewhere that there was a poison that was so fast-acting that after putting it on ones tongue, one would die in seconds. i had heard that no-one knew how this compound tasted because of this sudden effect, and one scientist wanted to be remembered for telling the world how it tasted. so he held a pen and paper in his hand as he put some of it in his mouth, hoping to write down its taste for all humanity. he was just able to write down 's' before he died, so we still don't know if the poison was sweet, salty or sour.

is this story true? has anyone else heard of it? if so i would like to know what the poison is and any reference. just because i told the story to some friends and they didnt believe me and i told them i would find proof!

ciao!

guaguanco - 16-2-2004 at 12:43

This really sounds like fiction to me.

Blind Angel - 16-2-2004 at 14:10

Just the way that it enter in you blood would take more than one second. Also the time that enough of you cell die from it it should take more than one second. And also, the fastest way know is intra-veinous (well not known but at least useable by normal man), and parental (by under the tongue) isn't that fast. So your friend are right to not believe you

thanks . . . feel embarrassed now!

sam33 - 16-2-2004 at 20:47

thanks for informing me, i guess i have to tell them they were right . . .

:{

sam

potassium chloride?

trogdor - 27-4-2004 at 19:47

how fast is potassium chloride? i think it causes heart failure, because most cells use potassium for facilitated diffusion and what not...but does anyone have more specifics on its exact workings? i also know that this is what Dr. Kevorkian used when assisting suicide. Sodium pentathol is also used in lethal injections, that is usually the first drug injected, i do beleive.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by trogdor]

This is a really well known Urban myth.

Hermes_Trismegistus - 27-4-2004 at 21:45

Quote:
Originally posted by sam33
i once heard from somewhere that there was a poison that was so fast-acting that after putting it on ones tongue, one would die in seconds. i had heard that no-one knew how this compound tasted because of this sudden effect, and one scientist wanted to be remembered for telling the world how it tasted. so he held a pen and paper in his hand as he put some of it in his mouth, hoping to write down its taste for all humanity. he was just able to write down 's' before he died, so we still don't know if the poison was sweet, salty or sour.

is this story true? has anyone else heard of it? if so i would like to know what the poison is and any reference. just because i told the story to some friends and they didnt believe me and i told them i would find proof!

ciao!

Isn't the fastest substance absorbtion route via the lungs?

Hermes_Trismegistus - 27-4-2004 at 21:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind Angel
the fastest way know is intra-veinous (well not known but at least useable by normal man), and parental (by under the tongue) isn't that fast

I don't know about in Quebecois (distinct language from french), but in english under the tongue is sublingual.

soupir!.....la grenouille mal! ;)

Blind Angel - 28-4-2004 at 03:30

strangely in french too lol :D
i just didn't though of it at this time, or the i used because of the guy background in chemistry (which is non-present), one of the two i can't remember :P

BTW: you told me: Sigh...the frog evil :P

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Blind Angel]

vulture - 28-4-2004 at 04:41

Fluoroacetic acid...gifblaar...South Africa...:P

Hermes_Trismegistus - 28-4-2004 at 08:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind AngelBTW: you told me: Sigh...the frog evil :P

Yes.......isn't he? after all, he is posting in the "Fastest acting poisons catagory"!:o

FritzHaber - 14-5-2004 at 09:59

nicotine freebase acts pretty quickly in appropriate dose
hydrogen cyanide too
but my personal favourite is anatoxin-a1
check it out:)

Ramiel - 14-5-2004 at 23:04

Vulture, we in Western Australia use Sodium Fluroacetate in baits to kill non-native pests like foxes and cats (the native species are resistant to it).

see here for an excellent paper on <html><a href="http://www.ecwa.asn.au/info/teneighty.html">so called 1080.</a></html>

Tetrodoxin!

Prince_Lucifer - 15-5-2004 at 02:53

Tetradoxin is an extremely potent sodium channel blocker which if ingested, will cause muscle paralysis then death due to respiratory failure!
Tetradoxin is found in the skin, muscles, liver and ovaries of the japanese fugu fish.
(A form of puffer fish) Scientists claim that the total amount of tetrodoxin in one fugu fish, is enough to kill 30 adults. They also claim that is 1,250 times deadlier than HCN!
Lethal dose for an adult is 1-2mg :o
When tetradoxin is diluted to a non-lethal level, scientists also claim that it is 160,000 times more potent than cocaine HCl.
Believe it or not, there is a commercial form of diluted tetradoxin for sale as a very effective painkiller. However it is diluted extremely heavily, no doubt :D
Here are some other tidbits that are related to past discussion:

During a lethal injection, a fatal dose of potassium chloride is administered intravenously. The large influx of potassium ions interrupts the wave of depolarization to the heart muscle resulting in cardiac arrest. A nondepolarizing paralyzing agent, such as pancuronium bromide or tubocurarine chloride, plus a lethal dosage of a general anesthetic, such as sodium thiopental (sodium pentothal) are usually given before the potassium chloride is administered.

This is also relavent so i will tell what i know. I had to research this when i was younger.
D-Tubocurarine can also be used successfully as the nondepolarizing paralyzing agent used in conjunction with the above process.Tubocurarine is the active ingredient of curare, an extract from the bark and stems of the South American vine (Chondodendron tomentosum). Amazonian Indians use the gummy extract to coat the poison darts of their blowguns. The isoquinoline alkaloid D-tubocurarine blocks acetylcholine receptor sites at neuromuscular junctions, causing relaxation and paralysis of muscles, including respiratory organs and the heart.

The sea snails mentioned previously inject a poison called conotoxin. This is a calcium channel blocker, which prevents the flow of calcium ions to the heart. This in turn affects the hearts ability to contract, which causes all sorts of problems, but will only kill if help is not sought. Poisons are cool :D

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Prince_Lucifer]

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Prince_Lucifer]

The most toxic substance known...

chemoleo - 15-5-2004 at 06:46

Is botulinum toxin!
It's produced by a rather common bacterium, and is sometimes found in contaminated canned food... nice!
According to some source, a single gram would kill (if dispersed nicely, then inhaled) kill 1 million people. You can guess that bioweapons defense are getting major worries about it.... Saddam made Kg's of it, didnt you know? ;)

Anyway, it acts on (what else) the acetylcholine receptors. Specifically, it's a zinc protease, that cleaves certain fusion proteins (synaptotagmins/brevins?) that trigger the release of acetylcholin into the neuromuscular junction (the interface between neuron and muscle cell).
You can imagine that it takes over control of all your muscles.

Interestingly enough, you may have heard of botox therapy - whereby the toxin is injected into certain face muscles so that they cant be used... and wrinkles disappear. Ever wondered why Cher seems to have a mask-like face? That's why!

Saddam and his toys!

Prince_Lucifer - 16-5-2004 at 04:46

In 1991 after the gulf war, Sadaam Hussein told the UN inspectors that his scientists had created 19,000L of concentrated botulinum toxin! Theoretically, this is enough to kill everyone on earth 3 times :o
Did you also know that it is common practice for americans to host botox parties?!
As crazy as this sounds, surgeons have devised a clever way to make sure all the botox is used before it is rendered useless.Apparently after 30min of atmosphere exposure, the botox deteriorates to a point where it is useless!
Hey guys, I am going to host a botox party with bowls of vicoden for snacks, who wants to come? :D

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by Prince_Lucifer]

Fastest, not most potent

Norm Alara - 17-5-2004 at 12:16

A nice slug of heroin (acetyl morphine)
will kill you as fast as your heart
can pump it to depress your respiratory
center. It is the preferred way
to go (seriously -I've got a terminally
ill friend who'se asked MDs.).
Monoxide being
gentle too, but not fast. Barbituates
(supposedly not hard to synthesize,
see _The Curve of Binding Energy_)
were synergisticly gentle with ethanol
(as Ms. Monroe, etc found out).

Stopping the ion channels (eg TTX
or KCl i.v.) would be fast too.
Note that in the death penalty
the first injection is just to
anesthetize the dude.

And a capsule or solution of cyanides
was certainly used by spies about
to be captured. GAME OVER is better
than torture.

battery - 29-6-2006 at 02:57

you want a fastacting poison
well not a proper poison but if u get pure alcohol (ethanol methaol pentanol butanol ect) or as pure as possible find the biggest syringe fill completely with the alcohol and directly inject into blood stream (best places are the temples, neck, eyes and chest) that will kill them in about 1-2 minutes depanding on how pure the alcohol is and how much you inject the more you inject the faster it acts!!!
:D;):o:cool:

YT2095 - 29-6-2006 at 03:51

Carfentanyl would be my choice, it`s not Technicaly a poison in extremely low doses, but just a fraction over and you simply never wake up.

thinks like clostridium botulin toxin isn`t particularly fast either, it works by effecting the 9th 10th and 12th cranial nerves govorning swallowing, the coordination of swallowing and respiration.

[Edited on 29-6-2006 by YT2095]

JohnWW - 30-6-2006 at 15:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramiel
Vulture, we in Western Australia use Sodium Fluoroacetate in baits to kill non-native pests like foxes and cats (the native species are resistant to it). see here for an excellent paper on <html><a href="http://www.ecwa.asn.au/info/teneighty.html">so called 1080.</a></html>

Contrary to what you say, CH2FCOONa DOES kill Australian marsupials. The same stuff is used here in New Zealand to kill introduced pest mammals, as an alternative to warfarin (bromocoumarin) derivatives, mostly rats (rattus rattus, rattus norvegicus, and the smaller and less harmful Polynesian rat, rattus exulans, and the well-known two-legged rat), mice, wildcats, stoats/ermines, weasels; and especially the Australian brushtail opossum, which latter is N.Z.'s number one pest. They are so bad that I have half a mind to kill some Australian brushtail opossums, and send them through the post to Howard (the Australian "Prime Minister") in Canberra A.C.T.

oxydiser - 1-7-2006 at 21:14

This wiki article shows how 1080 resistance is possesed by mainly west coast natives due to high natural fluorine content in the soil. East coast brushtails have never developed resistance.

Ozone - 6-11-2006 at 18:10

Hello,

Why has no one mentioned the very well optimized acetycholinesterase inhibitors that are well known, viz. GB (Sarin) and VX. These compounds are not only active in very small amounts (VX, LD50, subcutaneous, rabbit, 15.4 ug/kg(Merck, 11the Ed.)). These agents are not only chosen for potency, but for speed of action as well. AchE's are very rapid, with this agent, leading to S.L.U.D.D. (salivation, lachrymation, urination, defecation, and death) within minutes of exposure. Please, Please, Please- NO ONE attempt to EVER go near something like this. It's a horrible (but swift) way to go.

By the way, atropine is the only recourse for this toxidrome. Of course atropine overdose (avoid the datura people) is physostigmine (a very potent ACHE inhibitor). Pralidoxime is not very useful with organophosphate intoxiation.

Botulinus toxin can take hours, even days, to exert is inevitably lethal effect. Tetrodotoxin as well, does take a while. Ill fated fugu fans usually die at home or in the hospital, not at the restaurant.

Curare? Phosphine? IV KCl is instantaneous, interrupting the balance of the Na+/K+ pump cycle in cardiac muscle--instant cardiac arrest, but the doses are large, and a bolus need be administered IV.

CN and N3 are about the same, fairly rapid; interruption of electron transport is not a nice way to go.

Dinitrophenols are nasty. I discovered once that they will penetrate nitrile gloves effortlessly leading to yellow fingers, raging migrain, profuse sweating, rapid heartbeat, and extreme fear. Lucky for me, it was sublethal, but decoupling electron transport sucks. It turns out that the symptoms I had reflected a dose that was very close to lethal. In this case, these are toxic not only at low dose, but quickly, and they are transdermal. (DO NOT HANDLE THESE COMPOUNDS WITH NITRILE GLOVES).

Not so quick, but insidious, dialkyl mercury compounds (see Dartmouth, this is both so sad and so scary).

While we are at it, how about elemental F? Quite scary. Cl is also infamous (as is phosgene), but there is usually a lag period.

How about poisons that are far more insidious, the ones that don't let you know when you have been "bitten"? These really scare the hell out of me.

Stay safe everyone,

O3

phangue - 6-11-2006 at 19:46

My favorite is aconitine derived from the plant, munkshood

Lead

MadHatter - 7-11-2006 at 11:42

Lead poisoning - by way of bullet !

Nerro - 7-11-2006 at 14:00

dinitrophenol screws up the proton pump, I believe bodybuilders use something similar to it to increase their core temperature quickly.

I presume a reasonable dose of that stuff combined with a good dose of KCN could kill someone pretty quickly.

Elawr - 7-11-2006 at 16:21

Carbon dioxide is super fast in high concentrations, Just one lungful can cause loss of consciousness and collapse in seconds followed by rapid vascular collapse and death from asphyxia. You may have heard of the village in Africa , Nigeria maybe, where a deep volcanic lake supersaturated with dissolved CO2 was disturbed by a seismic tremor. Like a giant bottle of soda pop, the lake literally exploded and sent a veritable tsunami of CO2 gas rushing down a river valley. An entire village of hundreds was snuffed out in minutes along with whole populations of wildlife. Most were killed as they slept, their corpses found still in bed. Apparently death came so quickly and with so little warning, that most never even knew what hit them!

[Edited on 8-11-2006 by Elawr]

12AX7 - 7-11-2006 at 19:51

Lake Nyos, if I'm not mistaken.

Tim

Elawr - 7-11-2006 at 20:46

Yeah.. that was it - Lake Nyos. After the disaster, they sunk a big vertical standpipe from the lake surface down into the depths so that excess CO2 could siphon off gradually. Hopefully this will prevent future catastrophic CO2 blowups.

not_important - 7-11-2006 at 20:47

On the other hand, experiments with mixtures of O2 and CO2 often give results similar to ketamine - out of body, going-to-the-light, and so on. CO2 is used in inhalation therapy, both conventional and non-conventiona. However, it's not a DIY sort of trick...

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/data/CPBA0428.html

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/110/10/...

[Edited on 8-11-2006 by not_important]

Ozone - 14-11-2006 at 20:20

Egads man!

This is probably a synergistic combination. Dinitrophenol was also used in the 1930's as a weight loss drug...problem was, people would go off of the drug and continue losing weight :o. The thought of a dinitrophenol:KCN cocktail is absolutely frightening--this would serve to both decouple oxidative phosphorylation while lowering ATP synthesis (increasing O2 requirements) *and* the means of cycling O2 (by binding cytochrome metalloenzyme a3--and many others, including cyp-450) to ultimately fuel it. Yikes! A train wreck, only faster.

Please see, Griffith (2002), pp. 622.
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/media/570cd1rxqr5juknw...

and,

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic118.htm

This is probably very nasty.

Avoid. Please, no one get into this.

Live long and prosper,

O3

Ozone - 14-11-2006 at 20:31

Oh, and while we are talking about nasty, rapid mass casualties, such that seen in Camaroon (CO2), how about Bhopal, India (Mfg. Carbaryl, Union Carbide, Dec. 3, 1984)? This was a mass release of methyl isocyanate, probably resulting from a disgruntled employee. At least 3,800 were killed and 200,000 (estd.) exposed.

This must have been a *terrible* way to go.

See: Indian J. Exp. Biol. 26, pp. 149-176, 201-204 (1988).

and,

bhopal.com

A moment of silence for Bhopal...

O3

Elawr - 14-11-2006 at 21:47

Quote:

This must have been a *terrible* way to go.

Indeed.... Smother me with CO2 any day.

unionised - 15-11-2006 at 11:24

Bhopal was truly a nasty example of mankind's foolishness and (possibly) malice (though it might not have happened if it weren't for a drought).
However,since people are still dying from the delayed effects of the MIC released at Bhopal, it can hardly be listed as one of the fastest acting poisons. I imagine many of its victims wished it was faster.

Ozone - 15-11-2006 at 17:05

Too true, Unionized.

It was rather like a nuke, very fast in the primary zone, and horrendously slow beyond that. But, would this not be more a factor of a point-source where dilution occurs relative to the origin rather than of the lethal threshold of the material itself (say, in a single subject)? Those who lived were sublethally exposed. The scary thing is that the sublethal cases are chronic (and terrible), and in some cases, progressive.

Bhopal was a tragedy on many fronts. It was so horrible that it underscored the beginning of the "Science is evil" campaign--the same movement that led to the notion that all chemicals are to be feared (ask a few people what a "chemical" is, these days).

There is a lesson here, let's try not to forget it. There is a tendency in society today to forget about the past and repeat it (which, more-and-more, is being promulgated by "political correctness" that says we cannot remind people of past transgressions because we might *offend* their delicate sensibilities).

Best to you all, take care,

O3

nightflight - 2-12-2006 at 17:50

contact poisen can be very fast, like in seconds -t´s all about osmolarity and power.

I´ve heard of a contact poisen that kills in seconds.

jimmyboy - 3-12-2006 at 02:53

well your asking for "fastest" poison so any powerful nerve toxin or channel blocker will work --- delivered as a gas - that would be fastest route to the blood stream and into the different body systems - injection, ingestion and skin contact all take at least a few minutes while gas delivery maybe a few seconds - hydrogen cyanide probably being the easiest to come by -- VX definitely the deadliest created to date so far - of course a small quantity of lead delivered to the brain stem is even faster than that ... plus it can be sent from a mile away haha :P

JohnWW - 3-12-2006 at 13:58

What about polonium-210, then, and similar higher-energy alpha-emitting radioactive poisons?

12AX7 - 3-12-2006 at 14:53

Well, if you're going to go with fast radioactives, you might as well go all-out with something fun like K-42 or Na-24. Or how about a spray of hexavalent Cr-48 or Cr-51? Double trouble there! :D

Tim

unionised - 4-12-2006 at 05:04

"What about polonium-210, then, and similar higher-energy alpha-emitting radioactive poisons? "
It wasn't quick.

gil - 15-1-2007 at 07:48

Yeah,sure.Whith a good delivery,AIR can do too,very fast.
Lead too.In fact it's still the most commonly used.

Sauron - 15-1-2007 at 08:55

None here will get anywhere near polonium-210 unless you work for the Russian FSS or in their space program.

Or have your own fast flux reactor to cook some Bi in.

The Iranians are building one, claiming they want to make 210Po for medical isotope, but alas the IAEA knows there is no such usage. Now, nuclear initiators for certain designs of bombs, THERE's a use. Naughty Iranians!

Maybe they want to make thermal batteries for the famous Iranian space program??

Anyway unless you have a hot cell, don't plan on handling 210Po in measurable amounts.

[Edited on 15-1-2007 by Sauron]

Sauron - 15-1-2007 at 09:04

Ricin is vastly overrated. Three of the five who were poisoned with the infamous ricin umbrella and its high tech Pt/Ir peller, lived.

A fave several decades ago was saxitoxin, so if you have several tons of contaminated shellfish and a lot of time on your hands...

In a recent thriller by a best selling novelist succinylcholine was supposed to be a saxitoxin-like super-toxin but in fact that is a crock, succinylcholine takes massive doses to work (we hang BAGS of it on hunting arraws to paralyze deer) so that writer better go back to hunting for Red October. (The guy really does not write his own books anyway. Sold his name to the publishers after the first book and all others have been ghostwritten. First book had to be extensively edited to be fit to print. The guy is bogus but looks great on dust jackets.)

gil - 15-1-2007 at 10:05

Lead is faster.Air can be faster too.What is a poison ? something making you ill?
Or put a plastic bag on your head will poison you? or the CO2 in your lungs. No?
THe lack of oxigen will.Oxigen will kill too.
As Paracelsius put it(roughly) everything is poisonus, relative to the dosage/delivery etc.
By weight,ricin and botulin are very efficient ,maybe antrax too, but not really fast.Augment dose doesn't reflect proportionally: 25x L.D. will not be 25 x faster.
Air,I.V.10 cc(not sure ,make 50, or 100 to be certain...) will be as fast as blood circulation allow,killing almost istantaneously. So whath?Is air one of the fastest poison?
How much polonium210 is needed to mach?If can be mached?(not by fissing it,any other mean:standing by it,ingestion,aerosol,I.V. etc) Too many variables involved!
A fast acting poison may kill slower than a slighty slower actingone.Viceversa also true.

My bet:any poison been in space=fastest poison(6>mile/sec) ;)

[Edited on 15-1-2007 by gil]

Misanthropy - 15-1-2007 at 17:22

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
In a recent thriller by a best selling novelist succinylcholine was supposed to be a saxitoxin-like super-toxin but in fact that is a crock, succinylcholine takes massive doses to work (we hang BAGS of it on hunting arraws to paralyze deer) so that writer better go back to hunting for Red October. (The guy really does not write his own books anyway. Sold his name to the publishers after the first book and all others have been ghostwritten. First book had to be extensively edited to be fit to print. The guy is bogus but looks great on dust jackets.)

LOL! I remember that! Another awesome fumble was in (Teeth of the Tiger??) when he described Jack's Boss as having cancer & being treated with a deadly substance called (get this): D5W!!!!! :o:D

Sauron - 16-1-2007 at 05:09

It hardly matters because those books are scented pablum for the proles.

It's same with the TV series Alias, no point in waiting for them to explain all that fabulous Rimbodi technology: they never intend to. Just like Chris Carter never tying up a thousand loose ends in The X Files. Why should he? Those programs deal in fantasy and paranoiac fascination with conspiracy theories, and explaining themselves would not serve their ends. When they run out of audience they get cancelled without ever satisfying those of us sitting there muttering "But what about...?"

Water

MadHatter - 16-1-2007 at 23:38

This is off-topic but I posted it because it shows how "too much" of anything can kill.
It's been in the news the last couple of days. I've heard of this "hyperhydration".
The individual dies because the excess water dilutes the body's electrolytes out of balance.

Autopsy Finds Signs of Water Intoxication in Radio Contestant's Death
Written for the web by Jason Kobely, Internet News Producer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monika Diaz's Report

E-mail Story Print Story

Preliminary autopsy findings concluded a Rancho Cordova woman who competed in a radio station water-drinking contest before she was found dead Friday showed signs consistent with water intoxication, Sacramento County Coroner's Office authorities said Saturday.

The results of a preliminary investigation released Saturday showed evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death" in the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Strange, Sacramento County assistant coroner Ed Smith said.

Smith said the autopsy found no traces of "life- threatening medical conditions" that would have otherwise explained Strange's sudden death.

Strange was found dead inside her Astral Drive home in Rancho Cordova Friday afternoon. Her death came just hours after she participated in a radio station KDND 107.9 The End contest, challenging contestants to drink as much water as they could without going to the bathroom.

The winner of the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest would take home a new Nintendo Wii video game system.

Strange's co-worker at Radiological Associates of Sacramento, Laura Rios said Strange participated in the contest Friday morning, then was heading home when she reportedly called her supervisor in terrible pain.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," Rios said. "She was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

The supervisor called Strange's mother, who went to her daughter's home and discovered the body.

Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran confirmed Strange's death Friday, but said there were no immediate grounds to begin an investigation.

According to contest participants, 17 to 20 contestants took part in the competition in a room at KDND's Madison Avenue studios. The contest broadcast during The End's Morning Rave program began around 6:15 a.m. as contestants were each handed eight-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

Fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland said he met Strange at the event and had no idea of the potential danger of water poisoning. "They were small little half-pint bottles so we thought it was going to be easy," Ybarra said. "They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health in risk."

But after 90 minutes of drinking, Ybarra decided he had had enough. "I tapped (out) after five (bottles)," Ybarra said. "My bladder couldn't handle it anymore."

Ybarra said after he quit, the remaining contestants were given even larger bottles to drink to stay in the competition. Strange was still in the contest when he opted out.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for kids."

Ybarra said before the contest, he did not read a liability waiver form handed to him by station personnel before signing it. Ybarra said he was surprised by the physical toll he felt after the contest.

"I was kind of out of it yesterday. I was just drained. I was just going to the bathroom," Ybarra said. "I wasn't feeling well and I actually fell asleep. I woke up with a headache (Saturday) morning and then took a couple of aspirins."

Ybarra said he was unaware of any medical personnel on hand to monitor the contest.

In a brief written statement issued Saturday, Entercom Sacramento VP and market manager John Geary expressed sympathy for Strange's family.

"We were stunned when we heard the news," Geary said. "We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred."

"They should have had a physician there, some type of statement or as to this can kill you. You can die from this," Strange's friend and co-worker Tracy Beam said. "People have died from this before and here we are. We don't have our Jennifer."

"I believe everyone should just be fired and let go from that radio station," Beam said. "It should be the end of The End."

Copyright 2007 News10/KXTV . All Rights Reserved.

Created: 1/12/2007 10:18:31 PM Updated: 1/15/2007 3:40:58 PM

prica - 28-1-2007 at 10:24

S.Dali':< I dont need drugs.Frizzy water will do >. Above : nice example of legally induced suicide.
Statistic show Schizos use water as a intoxicant far more than average people do. 1 in 5 .maybe?cant rem.
VERY DANGEROUS! ED>LD very close!

Ozone - 28-1-2007 at 11:31

Not fast acting but,

It wildy disturbs your electrolyte balence...If your Na+/K+ balence is perturbed your screwed (muscles, including the heart don't work so well when they are polarized which some *fast* acting toxins also do). The headache is a classic symptom (it looks quite a bit like heat stroke--massive salt loss--without, obviously, the dehydration.

I experienced this once when I was much younger and was offered an excellent student job. I went to the interview and found out that urinalysis *ahem* was mandatory. Uh Oh. I was "sick" for two days, during this time I would have 1L of H2O after every passage of urine. By the end of the second day, I was pissing every 15 minutes and was extremely nauseous, fatigued and plagued with cold-like symptoms.

At any rate, at the "quiz" it took so lomg that I almost pissed in my pants; I was much relieved to finally go. Somehow I passed:D. Apparently a chronic overhydration can do it as well.

So, If you enter a water-drinking contest, make sure to spike it with some NaCl/KCl first and the Wii is yours.

Cheers,

O3

Ricin

chemrox - 12-2-2007 at 22:58

Ricin, extracted from Castor bean in NaCl solution .. I have a pdf on this .. can't figure out how to paste it in though

"The umbrella toxin.."

Sauron - 13-2-2007 at 03:42

Ricin was a failure as a military agent.

Despite its notoriety in the Bulgarian, KGB sponsored assassination of an emigre BBC employee in London a quarter century ago, Georgi Markov was one of only two successes they had with that umbrella gun. Three of the five victims survived. Ricin is easily treated once the medicos know what they are dealing with.

Back on topic (fastest acting...) I have obtained Prof.Michael Dewer's obscure paper of temporal chirality as well as I.Asimov's three short monographs on chronoergic reagents, and am working on a poison that will kill some time prior to administration. Full details will appear here first.

Unch - 13-2-2007 at 11:37

Castrol RC30 is 30% ricinatated.Smell lovely. Biolube is superior.

Air need not siringe. A compressor will do.Istantly.

not_important - 13-2-2007 at 11:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Back on topic (fastest acting...) I have obtained Prof.Michael Dewer's obscure paper of temporal chirality as well as I.Asimov's three short monographs on chronoergic reagents, and am working on a poison that will kill some time prior to administration. Full details will appear here first.

8-)

Or do you mean to type - "have already appeared here"?

I'll admit that would be faster acting than my first though, a supercritical mass of a fissionable isotope.

Sauron - 13-2-2007 at 12:05

Asimov wrote about compounds that reacted before you mixed them.

So I am talking about a toxin that kills before it is applied (injected, inhaled, whatever.)

Michael Dewar's paper at a famous Swiss conference was about temporal chirality and was a dry spoof. He did it so smoothly that no one caught on till his presentation was almost finished. Yes, the Dewar of UT Austin.

Dead man walking

franklyn - 26-2-2007 at 06:50

Tetrodotoxin derived from the spiney puffer fish is a neurotoxic polar molecule.
Administered by percutaneous absorbtion it induces catalepsy in the exposed
individual. Subsequently to burial the apparent decedent is exhumed from the
grave and indefinitely maintained in a sophorofic stupor. Exploited in this state
to perform menial labor, in the lore of voodoo such a person is known as
a zombie.

I have often wondered if the civil service employees of the Department of
Motor Vehicles have been similarly exhumed.

JohnWW - 28-2-2007 at 16:59

Yes, they probably have. Speaking of marine toxins, what about the venoms of the several species of cone shellfish, which are found on the Great Barrier Reef off Queensland, Australia? They must be at least about as poisonous as tetrodotoxin and saxitoxin. On 1 January 1963, in Sydney, New South Wales, in the morning after a New Year's Eve party, two scientists who worked for the CSIRO and a local university, Drs Bogle (from New Zealand), a physicist, and Chandler, a female marine biologist, were found dead under mysterious circumstances in a public reserve on the banks of the Parramatta River (the upper harbor) in the suburb of Lane Cove. The cause of death, whether it was even a culpable homicide, and if so who was responsible, remained a mystery for many years, until it was revealed that the two were having an affair, that further tests on body samples suggested cone-shell poisoning, and that another woman, also a marine biologist, had access to cone-shell toxin. However, there has been never enough evidence to charge anyone.

The venoms of sea-snakes (including the yellow-bellied sea-snake found in waters around Australia and northern New Zealand), jellyfish, and anemones, are also extremely toxic, so I understand.

Pixicious - 27-2-2008 at 05:56

I find Potassium Chloride the most interesting. Especially when it is a solid and it is being injected ;)

I like the compond. I suppose if I could get hold of it I would be more bored.

YT2095 - 27-2-2008 at 06:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Pixicious
I find Potassium Chloride the most interesting. Especially when it is a solid and it is being injected ;)

That I`de like to see! Injecting a Solid :o

(no sexual jokes Please!)

DJF90 - 23-3-2008 at 03:17

How about the venom of a Russell's viper? Its really toxic and solidifys your blood, leading to bleeding from every bodily orifice :( sounds extremely painful, but fairly quick. Lethal dose is rather small too. I saw a program about it (top 10 most deadliest snakes?) and just remembered about it as I was reading through this thread.

JohnWW - 23-3-2008 at 13:18

I understand that the most venomous snakes of all are those of Australia and New Guinea, especially the taipan which is found in both.

MagicJigPipe - 6-4-2008 at 15:06

I heard the Black Mamba was one of the most poisonous snakes simply because of how much venom it injects and how many times it bites.

I believe they are native to Africa.... not sure though.

Dimethylmercury, IMO, is one of the worst poisons ever. If enough is used it's quick but if even a few microliters are absorbed it can kill months later. What a horrible way to die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury

[Edited on 6-4-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Tinton - 8-4-2008 at 18:15

I haven't heard phenol mentioned, so...

The Nazis used phenol for rapid individual executions; especially during the last days of concentration camps.
Apparently injections to the heart produced near instant death, and IV injections caused people to "linger" for minutes to hours.
Also, according to Flinn, phenol can be absorbed rapidly upon skin contact, and phenol over about 100 cm*2 of skin can be fatal.
DMSO and phenol splashed onto the torso, or other areas rich in arteries would probably be quickly fatal.

Edit: I've heard of KCl being used as a sodium salt substitute for people with high blood pressures, just fyi.

[Edited on 8-4-2008 by Tinton]

Methyl.Magic - 16-4-2008 at 10:16

Quote:
Message original : MagicJigPipe
I heard the Black Mamba was one of the most poisonous snakes simply because of how much venom it injects and how many times it bites.

I believe they are native to Africa.... not sure though.

Dimethylmercury, IMO, is one of the worst poisons ever. If enough is used it's quick but if even a few microliters are absorbed it can kill months later. What a horrible way to die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury

[Edited on 6-4-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Wow!

Me2Hg seems to be particulary vicious !!!

Nicotine is known to come in the brain faster than cyanides and the its lethal dose is also less than the latter !

Batrachotoxin, this steroid poison is the most potent poison molecule ever ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batrachotoxin .

Me, I'm very toxic, too. When you inhale me, I quickly transform to methanol and the very toxic fluorosulfonic acid. One of my security book talk about a dutch chemist who broke a 50ml of diluted solution of methyl magic and was rapidely dead... Methyl magic is also very carcinogen !

[Edite le 16-4-2008 par Methyl.Magic]

[Edite le 16-4-2008 par Methyl.Magic]

ScienceSquirrel - 18-6-2008 at 08:22

Tetramethylenedisulfotetramine is extremely toxic, ca 7 - 12 mg is the lethal dose in humans.
Being cheap and easy to synthesise it was once used as a common rat poison in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetramethylenedisulfotetramine

Batrachotoxin

bigbigbeaker - 18-6-2008 at 10:16

I think batrachotoxin might be a possibility. The poison is applied to a blow gun dart by rubbing on the back of a certain tree frog. The LD50 for mice is 2 ugm / kg so probably about 100 ugm would kill a human by fibrillation, arrhythmias, or heart failure. It irreversibly inactivates sodium channels in nerves and muscles. It works fast enough to drop darted animals from trees before they run off. It's an interesting poison probably synthesized by beetles eaten by the frog. It now in a pain creme where the dose per application is less than 1 ugm.

The WiZard is In - 27-6-2010 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by bigbigbeaker  
I think batrachotoxin might be a possibility. The poison is applied to a blow gun dart by rubbing on the back of a certain tree frog. The LD50 for mice is 2 ugm / kg so probably about 100 ugm would kill a human by fibrillation, arrhythmias, or heart failure. It irreversibly inactivates sodium channels in nerves and muscles. It works fast enough to drop darted animals from trees before they run off. It's an interesting poison probably synthesized by beetles eaten by the frog. It now in a pain creme where the dose per application is less than 1 ugm.

-----------
A dangerously toxic new frog (Phyllobates) used by Emberá
Indians of western Colombia, with discussion of blowgun
fabrication and dart poisoning. Bulletin of the AMNH ; v. 161,
article 2

Authors: Myers, Charles W. Daly, John W. Malkin, Borys.
Issue Date: 1978

Publisher: New York : American Museum of Natural History
Series/Report no.: Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural
History ; v. 161, article 2

Abstract: "Phyllobates terribilis, a remarkably toxic new species
of frog, is described from the vicinity of an Emberá Chocó
settlement in lowland rain forest of Pacific coastal Colombia. It is
the third frog definitely known to be used for poisoning darts; the
other species are P. aurotaenia and P. bicolor. Toxicity of the skin
secretions of Phyllobates, and frog-poisoned darts, is due
primarily to batrachotoxin and homobatrachotoxin, steroidal
alkaloids that are stronger than curare mixtures. Phyllobates
terribilis produces relatively massive quantities of these
compounds and is at least twentyfold more toxic than other
poison-dart frogs. The new species is potentially dangerous to
handle: One freshly caught frog may contain up to 1900
micrograms ... of toxins, only a fraction of which would be lethal
to man if enough skin secretion came into contact with an open
wound. A human lethal dose is indirectly judged as being
somewhere in the range of 2-200 [micrograms], and the
secretions also are i...

Description: p. 309-365, [2] leaves of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 26 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 363-365).
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/2246/1286

zed - 12-7-2010 at 15:03

Well, for fast...Opiates are hard to beat. Many a junkie has been found dead with the needle still in-arm.

For potency, Etorphine (Immobilon) is right up there in toxicity. For a time, the US Military held the patent on its manufacture.

Heh, heh, people working with the material, are instructed that if they so much as touch a needle that has been exposed to Immobilon, they should be treated for OD immediately. Once symptoms of exposure appear, it may be too late!

This product is very good for quickly immobilizing large animals like rhinos and elephants, but not so good for humans. We don't seem to tolerate it well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etorphine

http://www.opioids.com/etorphine/immobilon.html

Fairly easy to make. I suppose it could be considered a weapon of mass destruction. A kilo or two could do a lot of damage. Of course, with any material this poisonous, personal survival during the manufacturing process, requires very special handling.

If 5mg can knock out a 5000 lb rhino, what do you suppose 500 micrograms would do to you? How about 200 micrograms?

[Edited on 12-7-2010 by zed]

E-tech - 31-7-2010 at 16:57

I have to find the reference, but, there was a couple of cold war biotoxins called "Fast Death Factor" and "Very Fast Death Factor". They, IIRC were made from toxic molds or algae. Appearently- they acted like the shellfish toxin- paralyzing nerve channels by blocking signals.
It seems to me, that the fastest acting poison pretty much depends on the route of exposure, and/or the dosage- rapid inhalation of a fatal dose of HCN can kill quickly, but, there are recorded instances of heroin addicts being found with the needle still in their arms, because they O.D'd on either very pure narcotics, or a powerfull synthetic substitute....
"fastest poison" seems to be a case-by-case basis, rather than an objective observation....

The WiZard is In - 31-7-2010 at 18:57

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  

In the back of my mind. The toxicity of the black mamba
in part has been credited to the fact that they live in trees
(they eat birds) and people are often bit on the face/neck.

Speaking of poisonous snakes - anyone remember the
The doctor sez you are going to die. Poisonous snake joke
besides me?

jon - 6-10-2010 at 13:50

i did'nt have time to read this thread but i like domoic acid a marine borne toxin it destroys the hippocampus and renders a "mammal" pretty much a zombie it's not a peptide which is a plus it can be orally administered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domoic_acid

causes massive apoptosis of the hippocampal region.
also epibatadine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epibatidine
very effective lipophillic small molecule could probably be administered percutaneously via dmso careful that can easily backfire.
nicotine believe it or not has caused fatalities by dermal contact.
also rapseed oil could be switched for cooking oil it causes free radical damage of radical proportions it can turn someone who's 20 into an 80 year old in a matter of weeks and no one would know why.

also read up on what hydrofluoric acid can do on dermal contact it can be very excrutiating it binds to calcium and effects those channels i don't know if it is lethal but is a very dirty trick.

dioxins are real nasty too symmetric ones are the worst according to my limited knowledge.

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by jon]

zed - 20-10-2010 at 17:36

Phenol may indeed be very poisonous, but any sizable amount of exposure reveals its presence quickly.

It blisters the skin very dramatically. Due to local anesthetic effects, this might not be immediately painful, but the giant fluid filled bullae, are generally pretty hard to ignore.

peach - 22-1-2011 at 09:04

Botulinium toxin is the most lethal chemical known and causes long term damage at sub lethal doses, but it takes a while.

It's approximately 2,000 time more dangerous in terms of dose than VX, and ten times more so than polonium. The lethal dose is a nanogram per kilo.

And production is as difficult as incubating some manky food for a while - which is why hygiene inspectors go on so much about not rewarming things on counters and then putting it back out the next day to do the same thing, and the next day.

It functions by permanently ruining the docking sites in synapses.

There are many different forms of toxic.

Hydrogen chloride is labelled toxic, yet it does not a lot more than blister. Some toxins accumulate over decades and don't go away, others are very dangerous in the here and now, then gone. Some mess with brains, others with internal organs like the liver, or internal organs via the brain.

Nerve agents are fast acting, but they don't last forever if the packs are to hand. Cyanide is the same, potentially killing you in minutes, but leaving afterwards if not.

You need to eat a fair bit of mercury chloride to kill you but, unlike the two above, it accumulates and doesn't go away - leading to brain damage over the years. There are also things like PCBs, which are horrifically carcinogenic and accumulate. They, and numerous other worrying things, come from plastics - which are relatively new technology. My mum actually lead a petition to ban the construction of a plastics incinerator that was going to be built at the end of the road due to the potential, not well understood, carcinogen risk - there are many primary schools around here that the exhaust would be blowing directly over. These compounds are considered above acceptable limits if they can be measured in the parts per trillion. Some of these carcinogens can be in everyday items produced from synthetic routes that include them. The antiseptic Triclosan was taken off the shelves at one point after a big batch of it from China was found to have the materials still in it. Water bottled in plastic has recently been shown to contain hormone mimicking compounds that leach into the water from the plastic. There is much to be done with artificial flavourings and plastics. In the same way mercury climbs the food chain through sea life, these chemicals climb through humans in a similar manner. The foam in sofas can release toxic materials at very low rates, but these can then accumulate in breast tissue, and be found in concentrated amounts in breast milk. Benzoate preservatives in food have been found to be breaking down in the bottles, to produce benzene in the things you're about to eat or drink. And there is a long list of E numbers we have only really just started adding to foods, with only their single, immediate effects known - not how they will interact over time or their long term effects when consumed on a daily basis in 'mega gulp' quantities.

Doctors will usually define someone as dead once their heart has stopped for more than a few minutes at room temperature and their brain ceases to show any forms of electrical activity. People can hold their breath for over 10 minutes, but this is because their heart is still circulating blood to their brain - albeit oxygen depleted blood, slowly. Once your heart stops, permanent brain damage begins to occur much more rapidly.

Also, whilst your heart is ticking over, and you're breathing, you can still potentially metabolise out a toxin and recover.

With that in mind, you're looking for the fastest way to stop someone's heart. The most lethal compounds are usually those that can interfere with the nervous system and disrupt homeostasis. VX does that by jamming up the system that recycles acetylcholine, which is found in the peripheral nervous system in the synapses that lead to things like your heart and lungs.

In that sense, you could only declare one toxin as being the fastest acting, and declare someone dead before the minutes of heart failure where up, if there was no way the damage to the nervous system could repair it's self or be avoided - which isn't the case for VX and cyanide.

Some aesthetics are brutally strong and very quick. So strong and quick that they're only used on elephants and the vet has to have an antidote kit with the tranquilliser gun.

There are also next generation nerve agents that are supposedly even stronger than VX, but no one's supposed to be doing that due to the conventions, but we all know everyone is and likely worse. :P

A more positive goal is producing aesthetics with very high medicinal values - the treatment dose to the lethal dose. LSD is an example of something with a huge ratio between the two, far more than many current pharmaceuticals manage. It has been suggested that the theatre siege in Russia, wherein numerous people died as the armed response sprayed some top secret aesthetic in, was related to the current work into next generation nerve agents.

I'd prefer it if all this effort was put into resurrecting Jimi, personally.

And on a Jimi inspired note, hydrogen sulphide is a very nasty gas.

Yet it has now been found that the same thing that makes it toxic also makes it a potentially excellent life saving tool, as small quantities of it injected into animals in an ice bath can put them into a form of suspended animation; blocking sites that would otherwise be damaged as homeostasis fails. The idea is now being put forward for human trials to see if ambulance staff could use it for the drive back to the operating theatre.

[Edited on 22-1-2011 by peach]

Chordate - 26-2-2011 at 23:55

There are, as far as I know, a few types of poisons which act quickly.

One are CNS depressents, which act in a fashion similar to morphine or others, slowing breathing and causing unconsciuosness and eventually death via respiratory failure.

Almost all other toxins, especially quick acting ones, act direct on the autonomic nervous system.

VX, sarin, DIFP, others are examples of acetylcholineestrase inhibitors. Acetylcholine is the primary chemical signal of the symptathetic nervous system. A number of these phosphate esters have similar chemical properties to achetylcholine but bind stronger than acetylcholine, rending the body unable to clear it from the synaptic cleft. If these pass the skin readily they are the quickest acting toxins in the world.

As a result, all your muscles contract maximally, your heart rate shoots up to unsustainable levels, you have siezures and all your pain receptors go off. You die of total metaboic failure quite quickly unless the agent is countered by something

The other class of compounds that works on this system are irreversible antagonists of the acetylcholine receptor. With these in place your body can no longer transmit nerve impulses and your heart stops functioning. You'd be awake though

Unsurprisingly, the two are antidotes for each other, but the newest generations of nerve agents are actually designed to have dual action: they bind to acetylcholinesterase, activate the receptors, and displace atropine by means of higher binding affinity, making treatment by them impossible..

Botulinium is cool because its a protein which binds to the surface of nerve cells, mimicing a spent g-protein, where it is endocytosed and begins inhibiting the production of a protein necessary for transporting acetylcholine vessicles out of the cell. As such it is slow acting but largely untreatable, and amazingly potent for how much damage it can do. (since one molecule of ii can inhibit the release of tens of thousands of Acholine molecules)

[Edited on 27-2-2011 by Chordate]

Lambda-Eyde - 7-4-2011 at 21:52

Quote: Originally posted by E-tech  
I have to find the reference, but, there was a couple of cold war biotoxins called "Fast Death Factor" and "Very Fast Death Factor". They, IIRC were made from toxic molds or algae. Appearently- they acted like the shellfish toxin- paralyzing nerve channels by blocking signals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Fast_Death_Factor

VFD, also known as Anatoxin-A, has a very simple molecular structure compared to other poisons in this division. The Periodic Table of Videos made a video about it.

jon - 9-4-2011 at 19:09

nicotine/dmso/thickening agent
s.c.
ld50 is way less that 50 mg's and it works very quickly too.
looks like a heart attack

Fish that puff

The WiZard is In - 4-8-2011 at 12:45

Man admits to buying puffer fish poison in plot to kill
wife

12:59 AM, Aug 4, 2011

CHICAGO (CBS) - A northwest suburban
man has pleaded guilty to trying to kill his
wife with poison from a puffer fish.

Edward F. Bachner IV, of Lake in the Hills,
apparently wanted to collect $20 million on
the life insurance policy for his wife,
Rebecca Bachner.

The 2008 federal indictment against
Bachner says starting in 2006, he used the
alias of Dr. Edmund Backer of EB Strategic
Research to purchase four different orders
of the deadly puffer fish poison
tetrodotoxin from the biochemical
manufacturing firm Biotium.

The firm sent Bachner four shipments of
tetrodotoxin to a Post Office box he used,
totaling at least 64 mg in all.

He also ordered a fifth shipment for 98 mg
of the poison from a second biotech firm,
Ascent Scientific, which he received by
claiming his name was "Dr. Backer" and
wanted the tetrodotoxin for "marine
antitoxin research purposes."

Tetrodotoxin has a fatality rate of 50 to 60
percent, and has no known antidote. The
Hong Kong Centre for Food Safety says 1 to
2 mg can of the poison can be lethal, and
victims usually die within six hours of
ingesting the substance.

Scientific researchers are legally allowed to
purchase the poison, but must obtain
special registration from the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention before
trying to buy 100 mg or more.

In addition to buying the poison illegally,
Bachner was also charged with making
false claims to the Internal Revenue Service
to take out the $20 million life insurance
policy on his wife.

When Bachner was arrested in July 2008,
FBI agents and hazardous materials teams
spent two days combing through his home.