Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ascorbic Acid Storage

Aqua_Fortis_100% - 2-3-2016 at 11:02

Hello.

I purchased one kilo pure ascorbic acid powder online and I will use large part of it as 200 mg doses for a total intake of 600 mg every day (I'm starting bodybuilding and I've read that vitamin C is a great antagonist of cortisol, and this is good for keeping muscular building (anti catabolic) and helps immune system) and the other part as chemical reagent.

But I know storing vitamin C powder is problematic since it will oxidize over time in presence of air. What is the best way to store ascorbic acid?

For nutritional purposes I will be opening the container every day. I was thinking in putting a bag of dessicant and put a vacuum valve in a strong container and apply a gentle vaccum every time I close the container. Would this be a good idea?

Edit: I put this on technochemistry section since I was thinking in a modified container for storage, if the SM moderators think this thread doesn't fit here, feel free to move it.

IMG_20160302_160540201.jpg - 831kB

[Edited on 2-3-2016 by Aqua_Fortis_100%]

Herr Haber - 2-3-2016 at 11:51

Store it in several containers and use only one at a time until it is finished. Seal by whatever method you see fit the other containers.

Aqua_Fortis_100% - 2-3-2016 at 14:50

Thanks Herr Haber. Good hint.

I will put some of it in 50g container with silica gel bag, this will last about 3 months for consumption. And the rest I will put in strong container with PTFE tape on the thread and some large ziplock bags wrapping it, and will open it only to replenish this bottle.