Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ascorbic Acid Storage
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 11:02
Ascorbic Acid Storage

Hello.

I purchased one kilo pure ascorbic acid powder online and I will use large part of it as 200 mg doses for a total intake of 600 mg every day (I'm starting bodybuilding and I've read that vitamin C is a great antagonist of cortisol, and this is good for keeping muscular building (anti catabolic) and helps immune system) and the other part as chemical reagent.

But I know storing vitamin C powder is problematic since it will oxidize over time in presence of air. What is the best way to store ascorbic acid?

For nutritional purposes I will be opening the container every day. I was thinking in putting a bag of dessicant and put a vacuum valve in a strong container and apply a gentle vaccum every time I close the container. Would this be a good idea?

Edit: I put this on technochemistry section since I was thinking in a modified container for storage, if the SM moderators think this thread doesn't fit here, feel free to move it.

IMG_20160302_160540201.jpg - 831kB

[Edited on 2-3-2016 by Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 11:51

Store it in several containers and use only one at a time until it is finished. Seal by whatever method you see fit the other containers.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 14:50

Thanks Herr Haber. Good hint.

I will put some of it in 50g container with silica gel bag, this will last about 3 months for consumption. And the rest I will put in strong container with PTFE tape on the thread and some large ziplock bags wrapping it, and will open it only to replenish this bottle.

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
2-3-2016 at 15:04

Go To Top