MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 12:22
Fermented Sewage: The New Drug Craze Sweeping the USA

*NOTE: Title is sarcastic.

I came across this the other day on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkem

Apparently, it was reported that some people in Africa (it was misreported as being a new problem in the US, hence the thread title) would take raw sewage, put it in a plastic bag so that it ferments and then inhale the resulting gas to "get high". My guess is that it would contain significant quantities of methane and hydrogen sulfide (which, I suppose, might make you dizzy and also sick) amongst probably hundreds of other various gases.

At first I thought, "this has to be a hoax". Been then I thought, "stranger things have been true". However, when the DEA says this:

Quote:
In the same article, a Washington D.C. DEA spokesman, Garrison Courtney, informed that "We wouldn't classify it as a drug so much because it's feces and urine."

It makes me think that it probably is a hoax. I mean, if it really was a "problem" the DEA would be all over it even though it's so stupid (we all know how they are).

If it isn't a hoax... How fucking disgusting! I mean, it even said that people would scrape the raw sewage up with their hands! *vomits*

Anyway, the reason I posted in Misc. instead of Legal Issues or Whimsy is because I was actually interested in what gases would likely be produced and in what quantities. My interest in this has nothing to do with this "article". I was wondering before I read this.

[Edited on 5-14-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 12:42

I thought cheezing was sweeping the nation . . .

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 14:04

Hahahaha! I remember that episode! Hilarious and true if you read between the lines...

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 21:23

I saw that a while ago. I'm pretty sure its fake. Otherwise, natural selection needs to work harder :D

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 22:51

<----- *hoisting the bullshit flag*

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 23:03

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
<----- *hoisting the bullshit flag*

Hmmm, I'm not so certain about that particular flag yet. Several things might be occurring here--one, as this did originally start in Africa, one might be included to believe that a diet rich in grain incompletely digested could lead to feces that would host Ergot quite well. It may also be possible that small amounts of N2O are produced in the fermentation, or perhaps ethanol or paraldehyde-like vapors.

H2S was mentioned in the article, but I’d imagine that would not be the recreation drug of choice, unless you happen to be attempting to sample the seedier side of Japanese culture. A combination of noxious gasses may cause hypoxia, as also mentioned in the article.

Though, regardless of this story's truth, I doubt the practice will catch on with America's youth anytime soon. Though... they could sweeten the pot with rubbing alcohol or perfume.

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 23:19

How anyone can sniff something that would gag a vulture and not puke in attempt to get high is beyond me.

Perhaps it is the vomiting that causes the "rush"... all that adrenaline that gets released when the stomach contents go flying.

[Edited on 15-5-2008 by evil_lurker]

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 23:22

I agree. It's stupid because anybody with a brain would know that natural gas is at least 70% methane (the gas that is supposed to produce the majority of the supposed effects). Why not just "huff" that? Then again, most people with intelligence would barely believe this, much less try it.

Stuff like this propagates because of how stupid people are these days. I swear, the US has got a large percentage of braindead people. I would expect a preteen to fall for something like this but the DEA, various police departments and public officials? Wow.... Just, wow...

Read the whole Wikipedia article if you want to see how dumb people in the US are nowadays. Just read. It's unbelievable.

The DEA put out a national bulletin on this shit (pun intended)! FUCK!! Or as the Tourette's Guy (R.I.P.) would've said, "PISS!!!! THESE FISH STICKS ARE HARD AS TITS!!!"

The idiocy!

[Edited on 5-15-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 23:49

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
I agree. It's stupid because anybody with a brain would know that natural gas is at least 70% methane (the gas that is supposed to produce the majority of the supposed effects). Why not just "huff" that? Then again, most people with intelligence would barely believe this, much less try it.

Stuff like this propagates because of how stupid people are these days. I swear, the US has got a large percentage of braindead people. I would expect a preteen to fall for something like this but the DEA, various police departments and public officials? Wow.... Just, wow...

Read the whole Wikipedia article if you want to see how dumb people in the US are nowadays. Just read. It's unbelievable.

The DEA put out a national bulletin on this shit (pun intended)! FUCK!! Or as the Tourette's Guy (R.I.P.) would've said, "PISS!!!! THESE FISH STICKS ARE HARD AS TITS!!!"

The idiocy!

[Edited on 5-15-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

It's not so much idiocy on the part of the government as it is caution--if there were reports that some suburban homeowner had build a fission device out of Americium, no matter how implausible, the NSA would need to check it out anyway. Why? Because it’s possible. Americium is fissionable and OTC. Better to be safe than irradiated.

As for the stupidity/willingness of adolescents to believe or engage in such behavior--some people are depressed enough, or in need of an escape that they will try anything. This is also a period of identity moratorium, and as such teens are much more open to trying silly things. (Regardless of nationality.)

*mumbles something about sweeping generalizations, heuristic fallacies and anecdotal evidence*

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery

Go To Top