Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question About Displacement
Squall
Harmless

Mood: Alive

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 15:26
Question About Displacement

I am currently looking for a way to obtain larger quantities of potassium nitrate, but i have been unsuccessful so far. I am tired of buying one pound portions of stump remover. One thing i have been able to find in larger quantities is sodium nitrate. My question is: Is it possible to displace the sodium ion with a potassium ion. If so what sort of procedure would that involve.
Squall
Harmless

Mood: Alive

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 15:51

Well after some googleing i found out that potassium nitrate is sometimes made by displacement of sodium in large scale productions so i should be able to carry out the procedure in a smaller version.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 16:01

KNO3 is less soluble at low temperature so you should be able to get reasonable yields by mixing KCl and NaNO3 solutions, chilling and removing the crop of crystals. There will still be plenty in solution, and plenty of NaCl, so you might boil off water to remove NaCl (wash it with hot water to remove KNO3), then freeze out some more KNO3. Probably 90-95% yield with one go of this, should be fine. If you're concerned about wasting nitrate, you can add barium chloride, as barium nitrate is only mildly soluble.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top