Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Carbon Disulfide from sulfur and charcoal
Fluorite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2020 at 12:29

How violent is the reaction between ammonia and cs2? I want some thiocyanates to try the fake blood experiment
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 12:25

I tried it this morning by putting S + C powder in a stainless steel retort placed in a 900 C electric furnace and the end in a test tube cooled by water. But I was stupid. I saw all sulfur condensing in the test tube and I realized that this was way beyond the boiling point of S (445 C), so it did not have the time to react with the C(harcoal powder).
Carefully smell tests on the test tube gave hints to tiny amounts of CS2, but really very small, because almost all vaporized off unreacted.

I have to make a separate heater to vaporize the S and lead that over C heated to 900 C.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 11:32

Quote: Originally posted by metalresearcher  
I tried it this morning by putting S + C powder in a stainless steel retort placed in a 900 C electric furnace and the end in a test tube cooled by water. But I was stupid. I saw all sulfur condensing in the test tube and I realized that this was way beyond the boiling point of S (445 C), so it did not have the time to react with the C(harcoal powder).
Carefully smell tests on the test tube gave hints to tiny amounts of CS2, but really very small, because almost all vaporized off unreacted.

I have to make a separate heater to vaporize the S and lead that over C heated to 900 C.

I guess the stainless will react with sulphur vapor particularly at 1000C
How did the stainless steel react to the sulphur vapour ?

I have assumed the carbon needs to be in lump form and the reactor sufficiently tall and only heated at the base with the upper part of the reactor below the boiling point of sulphur and therefore acting as reflux for the sulphur while letting the low boiling CS2 pass.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 23:49

Pyrite and charcoal can be heated together at 700C or higher to make CS2 without elemental sulfur. apparently that's how it was first produced, but I don't know about the yield or what are the side products.

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top