Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stable Multi-Halogen?
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 11:52
Stable Multi-Halogen?

While testing various ore-extraction techniques, an odd compound was formed. It is white, water soluble, but upon heating turns yellow with the evolution of chlorine or bromine gas. The species that were present during the compound's formation: Br, Cl, F, Na, CO2, SiO2, SO4, O2, H2O, H, CO. The compound formed at atmospheric pressure from 600-1000C. Br2 was present at the time, and appeared to 'condense' into this white solid.

Has anyone had any experience with a similar compound? The most identifiable characteristic seems to be that on heating to 200C+ it becomes yellow and evolves halogen gas.

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 14:00

I wonder if that is a salt of either SiF6--, SO3F-, SO2F3-, SOF5-, BrF4-, ClF4-. ClF6-, ClO3-, ClO4-, or a mixture; but what could the cation be? Possibilities could be Na+, ClF6+, ClF4+, BrF4+, BrF2+, or a mixture of these. Have any tests been done on it, e.g. IR, UV, solubilities, mass spectrometry, molecular weight, etc?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 21:02

How did it form at red heat if it is decomposed by merely 200C?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 27-5-2008 at 13:41

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnWW
I wonder if that is a salt of either SiF6--, SO3F-, SO2F3-, SOF5-, BrF4-, ClF4-. ClF6-, ClO3-, ClO4-, or a mixture; but what could the cation be? Possibilities could be Na+, ClF6+, ClF4+, BrF4+, BrF2+, or a mixture of these. Have any tests been done on it, e.g. IR, UV, solubilities, mass spectrometry, molecular weight, etc?

I do not believe there was enough fluorine left to form many of those species, there was under 1% of HF at this point. H2SiF6 may have been left over in small quantities. The compound is most likely a Cl/Br compound as the bromine was seen to visibly disappear into this compound and there was an excess of HCl/NaCl at this point. The halogen given off by heating may be Cl as it was not appreciably colored. The gas given off caused full spectrum light to ripple as in a heat shimmer, though it may be simply because it was likely hot.

Quote:
How did it form at red heat if it is decomposed by merely 200C?

Tim

That was typed in error--it formed between 100 and 200C.

Are there any Na, S, [halogen] compounds of note? Na+ SBrCl- might be interesting if it exists. Heating in air may cause such a compound to release its halogen in favor of oxygen.

[Edited on 5-27-2008 by ShadowWarrior4444]

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery

Go To Top