Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amps
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 25-8-2008 at 14:36
Amps

Can someone give me a way of increasing the amps in a circuit for electrolosis, for ecample starting with a car battery (i think car batterys are 12 amps) how can i get it to say 50?
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 25-8-2008 at 14:59

Between this and your other thread on platinum wire, I can say that you will need a very expensive amount of platinum if you want to carry 50A through it. Platinum is not a miracle electrode material, at high current densities it can loose mass, I do not say dissolving, but fine platinum metal actually falls off the electrode at high current densities.

But if that is not relevant, if you put your electrodes close enough together, your resistance will drop and you may be able to pull more amps out of the battery.
However I do not know if car batteries are made for higher amp applications, it could heat up and vent at higher amp loads causing it to vent perhaps spraying acid.

Picric-A
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2008 at 15:29

I actually intended the high amp powersource for use in a chlorate cell with thick carbon electrodes.
The platinum i intended on running at 2 amps. sorry for the confusion.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-8-2008 at 17:55

Lowering the path resistance will increase current flow for a given voltage. This means larger and shorter wires, the best low-resistance connections you can do, lower resistance electrodes, reducing electrolysis cell resistance as much as possible (close electrode spacing, large electrode area, hot electrolyte, increasing salt concentration, do a search on it).

Note that batteries have an internal resistance that will cause their voltage to drop as the current pulled increases.

The amp hour rating will give you the maximum current X time product for the battery, there is derating for very low or high currents, and for temperatures not near 20 C. The Cranking Amps CA and Cold Cranking Amps rating is the amperage that can be delivered for 30 seconds without the output voltage dropping below 7.2 volts. The Reserve Capacity RC is the number of minutes a fully charged battery will delivery 25 amps until the voltage drops below 10.5 volts. Those number will give you a feel for what any single battery can do.

Beyond that you need to parallel batteries. To do so you need a way to prevent a battery with a slightly higher voltage from trying to drive a lower voltage battery backwards - charging it. The best way to do this is to put a Schottky diode between each battery and the common tie point that the electrolytic cell will connect to (only need to do this on one pole). You'll need to electrically disconnect the batteries for recharging, charging each one individually.
Picric-A
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-8-2008 at 00:36

cool thanks for the help guys

Go To Top