Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ionization Chamber
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 13-12-2018 at 19:58
Ionization Chamber

I'm not usually too interested in radiochemistry although I thought this was interesting enough to share. A while back, I built an ionization chamber to detect radiation. It is incredibly sensitive to some things (specifically microwaves, I think. I grt alot of static when its near anything that emits them) and somewhat sensitive to radiation. I lost the circuit diagram, which really sucks cause it fell of my shelf during my recent earthquake which screwed with some of the connections, but it is essentially a steel can with a copper electrode and when the air in the chamber is ionized it creates a current and completes the circuit. It took a long time to get it to work and I'm rather dissapointed that it broke, but it is what it is. The LED would only very weakly light up around radiation sources at first, so I shielded it worked much better. Its a fun project for anyone who hasn't done it yet.
Sorry for the pictures, my phone is a piece of shit.

IMG_5122.JPG - 1.3MBIMG_5124.JPG - 1.4MB

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------

Go To Top