Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum Desiccation vs. Atmospheric Desiccation
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 10:54
Vacuum Desiccation vs. Atmospheric Desiccation

Vacuum desiccation is better than ambient pressure dessication for drying products and samples, provided the compounds have low enough vapor pressures, right?

But what about for preserving bottled reagents? I have 25 g of ACS reagent grade silver nitrate from Sigma-Aldrich still manufacturer sealed in a small amber glass bottle. The bottle is labeled "Desiccate." That's all it says about the subject.

Currently I have the bottle in an unevacuated vacuum desiccator over Drierite. Would it be better to store the bottle <em>in vacuo</em>?

What if I store other bottles that I actually have opened and will use regularly in the same evacuated desiccator? When the pressure is reduced in the desiccator, over time the gas in the AgNO<sub>3</sub> bottle will slowly bleed out to equillibrium, right? Then when I break the vacuum to remove another bottle or dry a sample/product, the pressure outside the bottle is increased while the inside of the bottle is still at reduced pressure, and the atmosphere will slowly bleed back in. If this cycle continues, won't this lead to my currently very dry AgNO<sub>3</sub> absorbing atmospheric moisture?

My overall question is this: <strong>Is it better to desiccate previously dried reagents at reduced or atmospheric pressure (for long-term storage)?</strong>

[Edited on 10/1/08 by bfesser]
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 12:43

I would go for atmospheric dessicators, one where you put your containers that you don't use much. Better then weigh out a little amount, and place it in the "common" dessicator to be used.

The pressure differences will surely do exactly as you said, as your product is already dry, I don't think there si any point in applying vacuum. If a good dessicant is used, the humidity will be very low any way, and there will not be any water to come and increase the water vapor pressure.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr

Go To Top