Author: Subject: Batteries and non aqueous electrolytes
bquirky
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-10-2008 at 23:33
Batteries and non aqueous electrolytes

Gday Gents,

Im new to this forum so hello all,

I have been doing a lot of work trying to find ways to make usable secondary battery's from common materials.

I have ruled out lead because of its mass and i don't want to handle the powder, nickel is to expensive and hard to acquire to be practical.

however i have had quite a bit of luck using copper oxide and zinc or iron in a sodium hydroxide solution. and using a home made porous separator made from paper coated in a mixture of OTC wood floor polyeurothane and baking powder dried and then desolved in an acid.

Im currently trying a IronII oxide to IronIII oxide cell but dont have any reportable results yet

But what i would really like to try is making a room temperature Aluminum cell with a non aqueous electrolyte.

The problem that i am having is finding a findable electrolyte ! all of the patents that i have found seem to use some exotic (to me) organic solvents.

I have tryed various combinations of OTC solvents and salts. I evan managed to get my hands on a very small quantity of DMSO which acctuly disolved some salts but remained non conductive.

I just dont seem to be getting anywhere :(

Dose anybody have any ideas on how i might make even a poorly preforming electrolyte ?

Thanks
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 25-10-2008 at 07:41

What's wrong with water? Water is too common to patent so of course you won't find it patented. Most of the aqueous chemistries are over a century old anyway.

An oxidizer, like anything copper(II), and a reducer, like zinc or aluminum, are good choices. Copper sulfate in solution represents the ancient gravity cell, not a bad source, though generally low in current.

DMSO is polar, so it can dissolve ionic salts, but it is nonionic, so nonconductive.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-10-2008 at 21:51

I wanted to try using aluminum and possibly some other reactive metals so i assume that rules out water.

so i need to find a ionic organic solvent that i can get my hands on.

any ideas on a OTC source ?

Thanks
Bryden
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2008 at 00:00

This might do https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10529&... although I suspect it would react with the metals you want to use.

There is a reason the "exotic solvents" used in commercial batteries are used, they work while more common ones don't.

Go To Top