Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CaCl2, MgCl2 and NH4Cl Hydrolysis
asdfqazx
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 20:05
CaCl2, MgCl2 and NH4Cl Hydrolysis

Hi,
Does any body have information about the hydrolysis of CaCl2, MgCl2 and NH4Cl. Any curve, figure for equilibrium constant, calculating the PH for various concentration, etc will be appreciated.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 21:38

Perhaps you mean dissolution, or ionization?
Hydrolysis is generally, or perhaps always the breaking apart of a molecule with the addition of water.

Lewis Acids do it. Aluminum chloride is an example of such. AlCl3 + 3 H2O = Al(OH)3 + 3HCl

Perhaps Wikipedia would be of use, looking to dissolution, ionization, hydrolysis, dehydration, precipitation, etc seems like they would be very useful to you.

Also, I realize this is your first post, but it helps if you put more information into the question so we know exactly what it is you are looking for. Also, with simple questions like this, it would be good to post these in the Short Question Thread, or the begging section.
kilowatt
Hazard to Others

Mood: nitric

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 22:21

That same thing happens when you heat or dissolve hydrated MgCl2 or CaCl2, for example CaCl2*2H2O --> Ca(OH)2 + 2HCl. That may be what he is asking about. I wish I know the answer as it is very pertinent to my latest endeavors.

[Edited on 10-12-2008 by kilowatt]

The mind cannot decide the truth; it can only find the truth.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 15:13

Well NH4Cl and CaCl2 aren't going to hydrolyze, unless I'm missing something, and MgCl2 is only going to go to Mg(OH)Cl + HCl isn't it?
kilowatt
Hazard to Others

Mood: nitric

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 06:31

If you think CaCl2 wouldn't hydrolyze I guess you haven't fused any CaCl2 hydrates before. It does release plenty of HCl if done under normal conditions. I don't know about under vacuum or more gradual or controlled heating though, and it probably is just to Ca(OH)Cl like with Mg, but the system containing that can still be written in terms of CaCl2, CaO, HCl, and H2O.

NH4Cl simply decomposes to form NH3 and HCl when sublimed, in equilibrium anyhow.

I suspect asdfqazx is asking about the hydrolysis upon dissolution though. You can calculate this by measuring the pH of a solution of known molarity. The equilibrium constant is the molarity of H+ over the molarity of the reagent. Then you can calculate the pH for other concentrations.

[Edited on 12-12-2008 by kilowatt]

The mind cannot decide the truth; it can only find the truth.

Go To Top