Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HV-source from old laser-printer
chief
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 01:26
HV-source from old laser-printer

I have around maybe 3 old laser-printers (using toner as ink, standard office-types), which technologically should contain som xx-kV source, which strips of the residual toner from the ready print.

Since I occasionally have some use for a mild, non-dangerous k-voltage, I usually have a hacked small TV-set (anode-voltage ...) for it, which is quite heavy to carry around ...

Now: How does the source of such a printer compare to the TV ? I also figure, that it might be usable with just some 9V-Battery, to give the 10+ kV ... ?? Is it a potentially mobile kV-source ? How many mA ?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 02:48

It's really going to depend on the specific printer. The one I tore apart ran the HV off of a rectified line voltage feed. On the other hand, this module sounds as if it is similar to what you want, and it may be in some printers:

http://www.sdshv.com/PDF/produits/voltage-block-configuratio...

however it won't run off a 9 V battery, as it looks to pull a couple of amps at 24 V.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 19:57

I have occaisional need for a highly concentrated, very bright, white light. Would the same printer furnish me with such a thing?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 20:28

No, they use lasers, the oldest ones used HeNe while newer ones use near IR. Some models used quartz halogen lamps for fusing the ink, most use heaters that run a bit cooler.

A quartz halogen bulb is likely the best bet, narrow and fairly short, and a spectrum that is near blackbody @ 3200K .
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 03:12

I have a 1994 apple laserwriter ; might it contain a HeNe-laser ? Also some other early-90's printers, an old Fax too ...
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 12:48

Go To Top