Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oven Temperature control
ftirinih
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 07:36
Oven Temperature control

I am trying to revive a laboratory infrared blackbody cavity. It is essentially a small electric oven that uses a controller to set the oven (cavity) temperature and maintain it at the set temperature.

The cavity (oven) part has two temperature sensors embedded in it, one is a Type S themocouple and the other a platinum resistance device.

The PRT device is a 3 wire type and reads less than 100 ohms at room temperature. Does a PRT change over time? This device is probably about 25 years old. Can I use an external resistor to 'trim' the resistance up so that when I connect it to a RTD controller it actually gets the temperature correct?

The S type thermocouple ends at a type S plug on the outside of the blackbody cavity. This was so you could connect it to an 'ice bath' reference probe and get a better reading of the cavity temperature. I would like to connect this S type thermocouple to a PID controller that accepts an S type input. What type of wire do I run from the S plug on the side of the oven-cavity to a PID controller input?

Go To Top