Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PyrexPlus Coated Glassware
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 18:19
PyrexPlus Coated Glassware

Does anyone know if the PyrexPlus coated (I'd guess PVC by the smell of it) glassware is coated only on the outside of the bottle, or on both the outside and inside?

I just picked up a reagent bottle with a ground stopper and it needs a bit of cleaning... just wondering how aggressive I can get on the inside without damaging it.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 7-6-2009 at 04:05

It sounds similar to a safebreak bottle with a exterior tough plastic coat to contain reagents in case of breakage.
There's no reason the coating should line the interior. . .
The sound of a light tap with a metal object inside the bottle will tell you whether it's lined or not.
Liquid can creep between the glass and liner when you're washing the bottle.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 7-6-2009 at 14:08

Wow. Thanks for the great advice! Comparing the clink from inside to out, your assumption appears correct. Now to get medieval on the residue's arse . . .
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 23:26

They actually have considerably higher pressure ratings than the equivalent glass parts, being a laminated/composite material (laminate if you're a material scientist, composite if you're a glassware sales rep). A common use is for solvent degassing bottles for HPLC labs.
I have a largish one that i heat in a hotwater bath if i need to heat and pull a deep vacuum. Obviously keep the temperature of the thing below 100C to preserve the coating, even though it likely could withstand more.
Does anyone know how these coatings are applied perchance, no reason just interest.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 06:22

There's a barely perceptible seam around the circumference at the base of safebreak bottles which would imply that the PE liner is fitted as an openended sleeve downward, and is then joined to a disk of liner material at the base. . .
These liners are flexible, tightfitting and resistant to tearing but would appear not to affect the mechanical strength of the bottles.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 07:03

Mine appears to have been dipped in liquid polymer.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 07:24

The coating on your glassware may be quite different to that on a safebreak bottle.
The only part of a safebreak bottle not in complete contact with the liner is the base which is very slightly concave. . .but safebreak bottles, too, look dipped. . .

Go To Top