Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Legality of DIY fireworks in the UK
everythingischemistry
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 00:17
Legality of DIY fireworks in the UK

Does anyone know anything about the law regarding making your own fireworks in the UK? I expect that most of it could technically be illegal under the "things useful to a terrorist" legislation but since I'd obviously be making fireworks that doesn't matter. Is it illegal for any other reason? Are there some things you are allowed to do and not allowed to do? Do you have to get a licence or use special premises or anything? Thanks...
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 00:57

The UK has become a Fa$cist police state, in spite of having had an allegedly pro-worker Labor Government for about the last 12 years. A lot of it has been to to do with kowtowing to Bu$h, from 2001, with 9/11 (which Bu$h and Cheney deliberately allowed to happen) having been used as a convenient excuse. Surveillance cameras, with facial recognition and OCR technology, are everywhere. Guns of all types, even sporting shotguns, are strictly controled in the UK, with a mandatory 5-year sentence for mere possession of a pistol (being any firearm shorter than 13 inches). So I would expect that anything in the nature of explosives, even specifically for fireworks (both the ordinary and political kinds), would also be controled there, especially since the London subway Islamic suicide bombings a couple of years ago (which employed detonators plus acetone peroxide in a matrix of flour; a later copycat attack failed because the acetone peroxide was too wet, and the detonators could not set it off).
everythingischemistry
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 01:38

Even though we are a heavily spied upon society, above the level of "local council jobsworth" the powers that be generally don't use the surveillance for low level annoyances and only use it for more serious matters that most people are happy for them to use it for. Aforementioned jobsworths have got several rollockings from central government for using the powers for stupid purposes and seem to have stopped now.

I object to their monitoring and censoring of the internet (thought crimes anyone?), but don't object to their surveillance cameras. Most people (although by no means everyone) here don't object to it either. Ironically the criminals, because they are at a much higher risk of violent assault than the general population, in general support the cameras according to a several apparently neutral surveys. After all, if a criminal wants to go and rob a bank they are just going to throw on a mask and forensic suit (yes you can buy these and they are not controlled), then all the cameras in the world aren't going to help much. The cameras pretty much only interfere with the petty, annoying disorder that occurs all the time here like street assaults and robberies and that's the sort of thing we can all do with less of as well as catching the occasional mastermind who doesn't realise you shouldn't do heists without concealing your identity.

We have specific laws targeted at people who intend to commit terrorist acts and while I have read of the police abusing these powers with a disappointing frequency, they only seem to abuse them for speculative random searches or to interfere with protests rather than as actual reasons for prosecuting people. I've not read about them locking anyone up for terrorist laws who wasn't blatantly possessed of an extremist ideology or blowing things up too. I also know that firework societies here do make their own fireworks so you must be able to do it, I just don't know how you (legally) go about it.

[Edited on 18-7-2009 by everythingischemistry]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 09:26

Check out the HomeOffice site using fireworks as a search term and the info you need should come up.
Emailing them directly for info mightn't be a good idea. . .

Go To Top