Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Worth a try or just stupid ?
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 03:07
Worth a try or just stupid ?

I've been meaning to try a couple of potentially dangerous experiments and just thought i'd ask if anyone here has allready tried(i assume some of you must have)

The first is the classic gummy bear chlorate,but using BACLO3 or BACLO3+KCLO3 as i assume BACLO3 on it's own may not melt at a low enough temperature.

The other is K or NA or a alloy of both into H2O2

Another is Iodine peroxide, but i'm not Iodine would even dissolve in H2O2.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 03:52

BaClO3 has a listed melting point of 440 C, but starts to decompose around 250 C; think that over a bit.

Na/K into 35%
+ H2O2 - on a small scale spectacular, more than a couple of grams is both a waste of materials and a bit too uncontrolled for comfort. The nice thing about pitching a kilo or two of sodium into water is that you can throw it to land some distance from you, the feel of bits of molten sodium splatting into your skin is something to avoid; trying to get 10 g into a small container is going to expose you to the effects of the reaction.

Iodine is sometimes made from an iodide, acid, and H2O2 - right? And what is "iodine peroxide" - got a reference?

Really, pick up some of the out of copyright chem books, Mellor's or Friend's or similar, and those inorganic preparations ones I listed in the SbCl3 thread, and peruse them a bit.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 04:43

Might this be of interest?

KClO3 11%at, NaClO3 89%at, MP 236°C

Somehow I doubt any iodine species forms peroxides, but periodate may be good enough for you.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 09:21

I just thought i'd ask!!!
So the BACLO3 + GUMMY BEAR is a none starter(i was hoping for a cool green flame in a test tube)
The H2O2 + K/NA my plan was to tie about a gram to a piece of cotton suspended from a retort and drop it into about 10ml of H2O2(in a plastic cup in the garden)
As i said i wasn't sure about the (iodine peroxide)but figured if it was possible it might be pretty cool stuff.
I did take a look at those books(just a glance) i found them a little complexed,but i will have a good read of them and try a few things once i have my fume cupboard up and running.

KCLO3 11%at, NACLO3 89%at, MP236oc This is of interest, but i don't think i understand it.Are you saying that the 2 together have a lower MP,if so surely that makes my theory correct.

Are you saying i'd end up with hydrogen periodate (is their such a thing?)

Nice webpage BTW
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 09:28

Hydrogen periodate is periodic acid isn't it?
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 09:51

I'm not sure Wiki doesn't seem to have much on it except as sodium/potassium hydrogen periodate certainly no mention of how it's produced.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus
Thread Moved
13-8-2009 at 15:41
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2009 at 18:57

The preparation of sodium, potassium, and barium periodates; Vol #1 Inorganic Synthesis pages 168-175 as a PDF

Go To Top