Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any Danger of Sulfates when forming Esters with H2SO4?
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 13:52
Any Danger of Sulfates when forming Esters with H2SO4?

Standard way to form esters involves adding concentrated H2SO4 to eliminate the water formed by the reaction. Recently I read that methyl sulfate is extremely toxic, and it is formed by reacting methanol with H2SO4. When making an ester such as methyl salicylate, is there any danger that the sulfate of the alcohol will be formed?

I've seen a lot of synthesis notes for esters, including at the high school lab level, and I've never seen this mentioned as a danger. So I assume the alcohol does not form esters as easily with the sulfuric acid as with the organic acid. But why is this the case?

Thanks,
Hodges
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 15:05

I believe one of the uses of the Sulphuric acid is to form the sulphate itself...
I read somewhere (Organic Chemistry by P.J.DURRANT) it takes part in the reaction... for example the synthesis of ethyl ethanoate;

ethanol + sulphuric acid --> ethyl sulphate
ethyl Sulphate + ethanoic acid --> ethyl ethanoate + sulphuric acic + water

So accoridng to this the formation of the sulphate is a harmless side reaction so dont worry about it!
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 15:40

Acid catalysis is usually done with only a small amount of sulfuric acid.

Dimethyl sulfate is the dangerous alkylating agent. You are likely to have some methylsulfuric acid form, however, which is a rather weak alkylating agent in comparison.

Generally, the stronger the acid being used, the more labile the ester bond (and more likely to alkylate DNA, for example). trimethyl orthophosphate, dimethyl sulfate, and methyl tosylate are all esters of strong acids and notable alkylating agents. Most organic esters are of pitifully weak acids and are for all intensive purposes harmless.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 18:56

When working on a preparative scale, formation of methyl hydrogen sulfate and dimethyl sulfate are limited. The sulfuric acid only needs to be present in catalytic amounts, and this minimises any dangers. I personally would not worry about it.

Go To Top