Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Infrared IR Thermometers
agorot
Hazard to Self

Mood: like an activated complex

[*] posted on 20-2-2010 at 21:28
Infrared IR Thermometers

I've been wanting to get one of these devices for quite some time now for a variety of different applications, but if anyone out there already has one, I'd like to get some advice.

I'm mostly curious about the emissivity values that a thermometer uses to measure the surface of a substance. Some thermometers come with an adjustable emissivity value, but others come with a (usually .95) fixed value. This is to adjust for the different amounts of radiation that different substances emit. Does adjustable emissivity really matter though? How much error does the non-adjustable emissivity create?

Also does the ability to accurately measure an object degrade at the extreme ends of a thermometer's range?

Thanks for your help
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 21-2-2010 at 00:14

I have two, one fixed and one with adjustable emissivity. The one with settings gives more accurate readings with glassware than the fixed one. I don't recall the specific parameters involved. They're trick to use and generally give ballpark answers. They are handy for avoiding burns and guessing when something is ready to come over.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
agorot
Hazard to Self

Mood: like an activated complex

[*] posted on 22-2-2010 at 16:24

How much more accurate is the nonfixed one? Is the fixed one within 5 degrees? If I were to measure a piece of hot glassware at 600 degrees, how accurate would your fixed one versus your non fixed one be?

Go To Top